• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After 7 years, still cant find cheap PC1066 RAMBUS cheap???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Seriously, its been 7 years now since this stuff has been out. The price has not moved the entire time??

I have a Dell 8250 with a 3.06Ghz Pentium IV. I have that "Red Headed Stepchild" of the Memory world PC1066 RAMBUS.

I'm looking for a kit (2 sticks) of 512Mb to make a total of 1,024Mb. The price is STILL around $400 after all this time? Why? I don't understand this. It's been 7 years, shouldn't the price have gone down at least a little? Even people on E-Bay are selling this stuff for $400 a pair. I don't even care if it's Non-ECC or ECC... I can't beleive this costs this much still? Why is newer, faster Ram in larger sizes cheaper?

I'm not going to spend $400 upgrading when I can simply buy a Dual or even Quad core system with 2gb of Ram for that around that price.

I feel for you. Yo upgrade my AMD system with relatively new DDR1 cost me over 200 bucks for 2gbs when 4 gigs of ddr2 can be had for under 100. Maybe there are limited quantities of the ram available?

That's what I got from him as well.

I used to have a RAMBUS system, and yeah I did sell my RAM for more than I originally payed for it, about 50% more if I remember correctly.
It's expensive because no one makes it anymore.

He isn't looking to buy it ;)

He is asking why it is outrageously expensive. :beer:

That's what I got from him as well.

I used to have a RAMBUS system, and yeah I did sell my RAM for more than I originally payed for it, about 50% more if I remember correctly.
It's expensive because no one makes it anymore.

Oops, I just saw "want" somewhere in his OP, and plus this is classifieds, so it's still in the wrong section.

TommyHolly, please PM one of the mods I listed above (or any others), and have this thread moved to here:
http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

P.S. I think I just caught OCF down for like 30seconds... came back up fairly quickly. :)

I have had a couple of rambus systems, and I always sell them off. Much cheaper to upgrade then stick with it.

You can always grab just a new motherboard for your p4 system, they have them with ddr2

Oops, I just saw "want" somewhere in his OP, and plus this is classifieds, so it's still in the wrong section.

TommyHolly, please PM one of the mods I listed above (or any others), and have this thread moved to here:
http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

P.S. I think I just caught OCF down for like 30seconds... came back up fairly quickly. :)
>.<

I didn't even see this is in the classifieds...wrong section, lol :beer:

What the H...? This thread keeps getting moved around? I posted it in the correct spot in the first place... I'm talking about Memory and thats where it should go. I don't want to buy any RAMBUS because its so expensive.

I don't know who moved it to the classies, but I can move it back.

lol...this thread has done the rounds l8ly.

no idea why its still so expensive

Same reason a Model-T is so expensive even though it lacks seat belts, airbags, cruise control, power steering, anti-lock brakes, etc. It's old and rare.

Same reason a Model-T is so expensive even though it lacks seat belts, airbags, cruise control, power steering, anti-lock brakes, etc. It's old and rare.
exactly...there is zero demand, there never was demand, and production was never big and despite demand never being huge, supply was even less. that is why lots of other hardware, MB, GPUs, etc... drop so drastically in price. there is a big pool of produced product that is in excess of demand plus any residual need is filled with new products that can fill in behind it so demand is rather low with high supply.

with RAMBUS, there is nothing but it that can be used with your boards making it even more rare and smaller production...therefore more expensive.

it is the same reason DDR is so expensive now...supply was barely keeping up with demand when DDR2 became the mainstream memory when AM2 came out. most of the DDR had homes when production for it fell off in favour of DDR2 and therefore the demand can't be filled by the relatively small supply being produced...thus, high prices.

nothing but economics 101 at play here...

I think the real question here is why hasn't there been a depreciation curve? Model T cars were expensive when new, worth less as they aged, and when the curve bottomed out, were only worth their weight in scrap metal. Then the curve began to rise, as demand increased while the supply continued to dwindle.

I can only speculate that there was never enough of this RAM to supply the demand, and that people are paying the prices it still demands for reasons that aren't entirely rational. The AMD K6-2+ and especially the K6-3+ commanded prices all out of proportion to their actual worth for a very long time. I saw a K6-3+ 550 sell for $150.00 on Ebay in 2003.

SDR RAM commanded higher prices than DDR for quite some time. But checking lately, the prices have collapsed as vendors try to unload their remaining stock before it is completely obsolete.

SDR RAM commanded higher prices than DDR for quite some time. But checking lately, the prices have collapsed as vendors try to unload their remaining stock before it is completely obsolete.
They better have access to a time machine.

They better have access to a time machine.

Heh. I personally could use some low density PC100/133 256 sticks. My cousin's machine could use some more memory, as could at least one machine at work.

After seeing the thread about a nearly free (after rebate) PCI GF4 MX4000 video card, I decided to build a nostalgia machine. An Asus P55T2P4 motherboard, a K6-3+ 400 @500 MHz, and 512 megs of EDO RAM. I got the RAM on Ebay for $15.00 I think. I can hardly imagine what that RAM was worth in 1997.

I think the real question here is why hasn't there been a depreciation curve? Model T cars were expensive when new, worth less as they aged, and when the curve bottomed out, were only worth their weight in scrap metal. Then the curve began to rise, as demand increased while the supply continued to dwindle.

I can only speculate that there was never enough of this RAM to supply the demand, and that people are paying the prices it still demands for reasons that aren't entirely rational. The AMD K6-2+ and especially the K6-3+ commanded prices all out of proportion to their actual worth for a very long time. I saw a K6-3+ 550 sell for $150.00 on Ebay in 2003.

This is kinda what I was thinking. You figure that it would go down in price eventually? So far the price never really moved more than $50 from what it was brand new.

Usually I just build a new system (new mobo/ram &/or PSU at minimum usually) for someone who needs to upgrade their RAMBUS system. Ends up always costing less :D.

Back