• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very smalll form factor computer questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wraith

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to purchase another PC as my web/file server/LAN Machine if I need to go on the road.

I have VERY little room in my apartment, so another tower would be very tough to fit, so I'm looking at getting a minature PC. Quiet, small, no lights, easy to hide in a corner are all on my list of desieres.

My requirements are 64 bit, dual core, at least 1 gig of RAM, at least 80gb HDD and an Intel or ATI graphics card, all in a little box. The reason I need dual core is I plan, in the future, to run a TF2 server from the box as well as a small web server, so I would like the extra processing power.

I dont want to spend more than a grand on it, but I cant seem to find many options out there. There are a few small form cases, but trying to get the hardware is a huge pain!

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm looking to purchase another PC as my web/file server/LAN Machine if I need to go on the road.

I have VERY little room in my apartment, so another tower would be very tough to fit, so I'm looking at getting a minature PC.

My requirements are 64 bit, dual core, at least 1 gig of RAM, at least 80gb HDD and an Intel or ATI graphics card, all in a little box.

I dont want to spend more than a grand on it, but I cant seem to find many options out there. There are a few small form cases, but trying to get the hardware is a huge pain!

Any ideas?

A Shuttle Case?

http://us.shuttle.com/

Though they are a little spendy, you could just get the barebone and buy the rest of the parts on a budget somewhere else.

You can always build your own case so that it meets all of your specifications. (IE easily removable top and side panels so you can get your hands in there to work etc...)

If you check out the modding thread, specifically some of the project logs, some of the guys here are really creative, and i am sure you can get lots of help picking materials and using what tools you have at your disposal.

A cheap mATX tower off of ebay can easily be modded to fit modern equipment :)

I'll make a post over there, though I'm not sure I'd want to put the effort and time into a custome case. I really just want something as small as possible to stick in a bookcase!

My plan is to run it with only a power cord attached. No keyboard or mouse or anything else for that matter. Just a quiet little black box in the corner running my game server =)

I forget the model number offhand but Antec just starting making a nice lil mini cube case that is not overly flashy and way cheaper then the shuttle.
The Antec still sports a 120mm fan in back and front tuned way down so they are basicly silent.

Back