• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new Headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Well the right earbud in my apple earbuds has gone out. I've had them for over a year and a half. I really liked them though because they actually fit my ear nearly perfect. I went on the apple website to see if I could get replacements, and since I'm out of warranty, its $30! I'm not spending $30 on new earphones!

So what earbuds do you recommend?

Last edited:
Koss KSC 75 headphones are usually $20 at radioshack. They are also thought of on many of the high end headphone web sites as being at least in the "best bang for the buck" category, however, some people feel that they compare favorably to $100++ Sennheisers or Grados.

Koss KSC 75 headphones are usually $20 at radioshack. They are also thought of on many of the high end headphone web sites as being at least in the "best bang for the buck" category, however, some people feel that they compare favorably to $100++ Sennheisers or Grados.

Hmm, those looks ok, but I miss typed, I'm looking for earbuds, not head/earphones. For some reason I like the ones that go in your ear, I like being able to have the volume lower and still hear it good.

Hmm, those looks ok, but I miss typed, I'm looking for earbuds, not head/earphones. For some reason I like the ones that go in your ear, I like being able to have the volume lower and still hear it good.

The best bang for your buck for a non-audiophile is the Shure E2c. It's retail around $70-80, I got mine for around $75 shipped I believe.

He didn't want to spend $30 on the Apple replacements, I doubt he wants to spend $70+. Unfortunately, I don't like earbuds and I find that they fall out too easily, but I had some $20 Koss ones when my iPod ones broke and they were pretty decent. I've since moved on to some that hook around the ear so I can wear them more comfortably when I run.

He didn't want to spend $30 on the Apple replacements, I doubt he wants to spend $70+. Unfortunately, I don't like earbuds and I find that they fall out too easily, but I had some $20 Koss ones when my iPod ones broke and they were pretty decent. I've since moved on to some that hook around the ear so I can wear them more comfortably when I run.

I had an issue with earbuds falling out too, until I find a trick. If you turn them 90 degrees so that they are pointing out toward the front of your face instead of down, not only do earbuds fit better but they are much more clear!

And yeah, I'd prefer not to spend $70 on earbuds, unless you can guarantee they will last for 3+ years.

I know he said he ddn't want to spend $30 on headphones, but he also said he wanted or liked IEMs.

Check out Skullcandy earbuds. I think they go for 20 and they're just really cheap IEMs. I don't know how they sound (can't say I expect them to sound very good) or how durable they are but they are the only IEM in the price range I believe.

Check out Skullcandy earbuds.

Ew. No. Those things are intended specifically as a fashion statement, aimed at people who don't know any better than to be impressed by the 'bling'. The sound quality is nothing short of atrocious. (Sorry to trash your recommendation, no offence intended, but IMO those things really are that bad.)

Check out the JVC FX-33 Marshmallows, or if you really want earbuds instead, try the JVC Gummys... $10-15, they sound quite good. Sennheiser MX400 and MX500 are decent as well, and also in the $10-20 range. [Edit: any of these choices would be far better than the stock Apple buds, for comparison.]

Last edited:
Why not just get a set of apple earbuds from some other vendor? Try Amazon.

That said, everyone I know who has Apple earbuds has one of the ears break eventually. I don't know if they're all rough or if the buds are just cheap build. Personally I hate all earbuds, but that said they don't sound that great either to me. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I'd much rather get a good set of headphones rather than cheap inexpensive ones.

Have those people lived their lives INSIDE a jet engine by chance?
a $120 pair of Grados playing uncompressed audio on an ipod sound like 2 $2000 stere0

Back