• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snowpunk857

I started experiencing a power problem with my computer. At first it would randomly just shut down and I could turn it back on and it would be fine. Then it started happenging more frequently until it got to the point where I would push the power button, power would turn on, but the monitor remained black. I didn't know if it was the PSU, the CPU, the Mobo, the Memory, the Video Card, or the HDD. I needed to upgrade from 939 to AM2 anyways so I bought a new mobo, ddr2 memory, and a X2 4000 CPU, and crossed my fingers that the problem was with one of those.

I installed it all and turned it on and it worked perfectly... for about a day, and then the problem came back. The only things left that it could be is my video card (BFG 7800 GTX OC), HDD (but I have unplugged all 3 of them and still can't get to a BIOS screen), or PSU (Ultra 500W).

Please help me!!!!

I bet its your PSU. Do you have another one test with?

No, but I am going to the computer store after work and was going to buy a new video card because that's what I thought the problem was, but if you and other people think it is the PSU I will buy a new one of those instead.

Ever since I bought this Ultra I have been hearing bad things about it from people, but ignored them because it has done a great job for me for nearly 3 years now. It is an Ultra X-Connect ($100 when I got it, but I just saw that it is now going for $30 so maybe that should tell me something!)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974590&CatId=1079

Still think that's what it is?

No, but I am going to the computer store after work and was going to buy a new video card because that's what I thought the problem was, but if you and other people think it is the PSU I will buy a new one of those instead.

Ever since I bought this Ultra I have been hearing bad things about it from people, but ignored them because it has done a great job for me for nearly 3 years now. It is an Ultra X-Connect ($100 when I got it, but I just saw that it is now going for $30 so maybe that should tell me something!)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974590&CatId=1079
Well, I also think it is your PSU. If it was a graphics card problem, you would be getting artifacts or blue screens. Since the problem carried over, I'm sure it is the PSU.

Personally, I would have replaced that PSU 3 years ago ;)

:welcome: to the forums!!! :D:D

Well, I also think it is your PSU. If it was a graphics card problem, you would be getting artifacts or blue screens. Since the problem carried over, I'm sure it is the PSU.

Personally, I would have replaced that PSU 3 years ago ;)

:welcome: to the forums!!! :D:D

Okay I'm glad to hear you guys think it is the PSU because that video card cost me $600 when I got it, and a new PSU only costs $100.

Now that we are on the topic of PSU's, what do you suggest? The AM2 mobo I just bought supports SLI and even though I'm not running SLI right now, I want to be able to keep that option open in the future by getting a PSU that supports that. From what I understand, it doesn't need to be "SLI certified" as long as it is above 500W or 600W.

Is there anyone that thinks my computer problem is video card related?

Okay I'm glad to hear you guys think it is the PSU because that video card cost me $600 when I got it, and a new PSU only costs $100.

Now that we are on the topic of PSU's, what do you suggest? The AM2 mobo I just bought supports SLI and even though I'm not running SLI right now, I want to be able to keep that option open in the future by getting a PSU that supports that. From what I understand, it doesn't need to be "SLI certified" as long as it is above 500W or 600W.

Is there anyone that thinks my computer problem is video card related?
Well, I recommend the Corsair HX series.

I have the HX620W which is modular and completely dead silent. It is a great power supply ;)

+1 for psu. there are some high end ultras that are nice. that's not one of them though. i definitely suggest 500+ watts for a future sli rig with peripherals.

great brands: corsair, silverstone, seasonic, fsp, antec, high end rosewill, high end ultras. the list goes one. check jonnyguru.com for reviews.

I just went a bought a PSU (n-spire X-extreme 600) so we'll see if that fixes the problem. The guy at the computer store told me that if it is my old Ultra X-connect that is the problem, and I hooked up the new mobo, memory, and CPU to it, that there is a chance I fried all the new equipment. Is that true?? I am installing the new PSU later tonight so I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Well I have an update - I installed the PSU - and..... NOTHING. Still a black screen and no HDD noises or activity. So do you guys still think it was the PSU? Does this mean that it was the video card causing the problem, or did the old PSU damage the new CPU, memory, and/or mobo?

Try to get the system to come up by using as little stuff as possible. If you have onboard video, use that instead of the vid card, if you have multiple sticks of ram, take em all out but one. Take out any sound cards, network, anything that you can to get it to bare bones and see if you can get it to post and come up.

Also, just to make sure I got it right, the only thing that is the same with your new setup is the case and video card and HDD?

You can also take the parts out of the case and try and get them working on a table or something to see if maybe the case is causing a short somewhere. (Lego pc ftw no danger there!)

Thanks for your help guys - I am still guessing it was the PSU like you guys suggested. However I won't know for sure because I just went and bought a new CPU, mobo, memory, video card, and PSU yesterday and the computer is running super!

Back