• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homebrew and the DS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
So I've got my DS here, was interested in cracking it wide open for homebrew. Would like mp3 playback, video playback, apps/games. Basically everything homebrew has to offer. I'm just not sure what I should be looking for as far as hardware is concerned. Any suggestions?

Best DS modchip is the CycloDs Evolution. A lot of people say the R4, but its garbage compared to the CycloDs.

Ok, so I guess it would between those 2? Can you elaborate on what makes the CycloDs better than the R4?

*off to google*

well i got the EZ flash 5 bundle for my DS lite, it has mp3 playback, video playback (though it has to be in DPG format, i believe all the other flash cards need the movies to be in DPG to be playable) it can also do alot more things, as ROM emulating (though this is illegal if you dont have a original copy of the game you wish to play using it). it uses micro SD cards, i believe it takes up to 2 gig SDs.

lol, well i got mine used from a friend, maybe you could try that too

HAHA, I don't have any friends who are into tech stuff. I have ONE friend with a 360, no one else really plays any games (well my friend Craig is still #1 at NHL 95 on the genisis).

lol, well maybe buy it from internet, would have suggested a place for console stuff, but i live in Denmark and don't really know any places in Canada

The R4 in itself is not illegal, but it CAN be used for illegal purposes just like a tire iron is not illegal, but if I hide one in my jacket and try to take it into a Leafs game then it becomes a concealed weapon.

Really what I'd want it for is apps. See what kinds of browsers are available. I'd love to have a note taking program or something. A calender where I can jot notes for example. That and MP3's. I've got an Ipod, but for work the DS would be better as it has speakers built in. No illegal activity on my DS, no sir.

well there wasn't any talk about running illegal apps etc. on the flash card, it was just meant for homebrew apps.

and everything has an illegal use saying we cant use one of these cards for legal uses would be the same as saying you cant use your computer for legal uses.

I can talk to my brother who has a CycloDS. I think he got it from a canadian site, I'll PM it to you later. Feel free to remind me :)

Back