• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First foray into mobile gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

Hi everyone.....I've been hiding from these forums for awhile, so much tech talk without the funds to invest in them is kinda like being trapped in a submarine for 6 months with a crew of hot nuns...

But now i have a reason to post :) yay :)

Inspiron 1520, Intel Core 2 Duo T7250, 2.0GHz, 800Mhz 2M L2 Cache
(Got in in black....why the eff is a sheet of colored plastic $50 more?)
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch display (1680x1050)
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
160G 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English (I have legal Business edition site licenses so this won't be staying on long)
8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card
Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
Creative Earbud EP630
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 1520
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Mod

Cost? $0 USD (Thank you :santa:)

I just have a few questions from other Dell owners out there. I'm a programming student with a concentration in game development, so i was obviously focused on my..."education"....in the design here. I picked the parts within a certain price range, distant family made it happen.

What sort of performance is everyone getting these days on various games? Generational breakdown, that said:

Generation 1: Neverwinter Nights, MechWarrior 4, Dungeon Seige, and older

Generation 2: WoW, Second Life, EVE-Online, Genesis Rising, Black and White 2, etc.

Generation 3: High-end emulation (i.e. PS2, n64, etc), TES: Oblivion, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., F.E.A.R., and other graphic yumminesses that are abbreviated into acronyms, as well as Crysis and *anticipation.....* Fallout III.

I've read benchmarks but the more I read on them the more i've noticed that the people who have ads up for ATI always say it's the ****zle, the ones who have them up for nVidia say it's the ****zle, and they both trash the other by benching at very pointed configurations, so doing my own research just tells me some things never change. That's why i'm polling you guys.

Also, as side notes, Does the machine have a built in mic that i'll need to disable to halt feedback in SL voice? And are the earbuds any good, or should I carry my headsets with me?

Also this has now arrived at a relative's place, discovered as I'm posting, so this will be handed to me *tomorrow*. ^.^

:santa2::santa:"It's the most wonderful tiiime, of the year...":santa2::santa::santa2::santa:

Last edited:
Back