• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hillsdale

How meny times a year do you guys take your pc apart and clean the dust off all your hardware and all that stuff. Im asking for a new PC Case (CM Stacker 810) for christmas, and i am wondering, what, and how i should be cleaning my hardware.

I do mine bi-weekly usually. I'm pretty sparatic about it. I do clean it every time that I add new hardware ;)

Canned air works very well...

ancalime, i would probably be just like you, but i put like $3000 into this pc, and im going to be taking it apart anyways so, i might as well.

Haven't done any real cleaning for a year now to be honest.

You may want to consider buying a can of air and airing down your rig. Dust builds up like crazy - especially if you have pets. I have noticed on my 7800GTX that if enough dust builds up around the graphics card, it starts to insulate the hot air and then the graphics card's temperature spikes to unsafe levels. After noticing this, I try my best to clean out my rig once every 3 months at least. You'd be amazed how much dust can screw up your temps...

all my hardware? wont it damage it?

Blasting it with air? Why would the air damage the hardware?
I've actually taken a vacuum (detachable hose) to some dusty parts of my PC. But the can of air is good for getting at those tight to reach spots.

Im pretty sure all the hardware in your computer is waterproof? Correct me if Im wrong. :beer:

Which would mean its air tight.

You may want to consider buying a can of air and airing down your rig. Dust builds up like crazy - especially if you have pets. I have noticed on my 7800GTX that if enough dust builds up around the graphics card, it starts to insulate the hot air and then the graphics card's temperature spikes to unsafe levels. After noticing this, I try my best to clean out my rig once every 3 months at least. You'd be amazed how much dust can screw up your temps...
I am well aware what dust build up can do. ;)
My room is very clean and there is very little dust. My left side panel isn't even on and there just isn't much to clean. Plus I am lazy. :)

Isn't that how PC's are Water-cooled though? :beer:
Not at all..

you could actually throw all your parts in the water. as long as your not running electricity through them.

But would this be a good way to clean them lol?

Yeah canned air, and also a small vaccume nozzle. you can blow the dust up with the air and then suck it up with the vaccume. Good stuff :D

I would clean it once every 2 weeks, or once a month. Dust builds up!!!

you could actually throw all your parts in the water. as long as your not running electricity through them.

But would this be a good way to clean them lol?

Yeah canned air, and also a small vaccume nozzle. you can blow the dust up with the air and then suck it up with the vaccume. Good stuff :D

I would clean it once every 2 weeks, or once a month. Dust builds up!!!

How meny cans will i need to clean all my hardware?

Back