• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Build RIG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

Can you guys help my build a really good PC? I dont need a Sound card or DVD-RW. I want to stick with AMD, ATI. Give it a shot thanks.

I say if you really want a great AMD CPU you would have to buy your parts in pieces until they release the Phenom x4 with B3 stepping. Like if you wanted you can start with the video card and a nice after market heatsink. This way when you go phenom you have the better GPU and a good heat sink for overclocking and at the same time you can throw the heatsink on your current rig with the GPU and overclock it probably more. I would get the ATI 3870 512MB but remember at this time they are selling above their price and so is nvidia 8800GT because it is in massive demand and poor quantity.

Wait till around the middle of January - late Feb. and see if Phenom B3 is ready. It should be at that time. Right now Phenom has errata so I would just wait. Then go for the AM2+ motherboard and a B3 stepping Phenom X4 and ddr2 1066ram.

You can also go for a better power supply earlier and just use it in the mean time. Maybe 700W+ and eventually you may want to crossfire another GPU so you can get another ATI 3870 512MB or 3850 sometime down the road.

Or if you just want to upgrade to AM2 it is a cheap alternative and will hold you off to probably when AMD supposely has the best steppings with phenom most likely toward the end of 08. Right now you can build an AM2 system and it is very cheap, around 500 bucks for a good system minus the GPU.

or you can get a opteron 175 or oem x2 939 and the ATI Gpu and wait for next year. Waiting is the best alternative in my opinion. Especially if you do not upgrade every year.
Having a phenom will last a few years while dual cores are already becoming what single core is now.

Well $500 will only get a budget rig. It is still good though for at least 2 years. So just get an AM2. I would consider going for a small form factor though because in the long run you will turn that rig into a HTPC or for some other use.

ya if hes going am2 he might want to keep a eye out for a true AM2+ mobo so latter on he can run a quad core and for the time being he could run a cheap am2 chip get cheap good air cooling and over clock it some. at the same time he will need to get a new video card, PSU and ram. i could see this being done for bout that price or a little more depending how much u want to future proof.
and for the people that say wait come on man everyone says wait. wait on this wait on that. u do so much waiting by the time the price comes down there is something out there that smokes it.

so how much future proof do u want? would u like to run a quad core later on down the road? if not we can start there.

Besides future proofing you should let others know what you do with your computer. Some people like to game on the comp and a GPU is most important. If you just do data entry and browse the net, check and write emails then the GPU is not as important.

550,570 Biostar or good Gigabyte.
or 770 or 790 Mobo for more longevity. Great chipset and power regs on some.
( 5000 Brisbane BE or a 5600X2 with 1M cache) and do some OCing.
GSkill 2x2 PC8000 Nice Bandwidth.
OCZ StealthStream 500 or 600 or PCPnP Silencer 610.
Pick your drives!

why is the boistar so cheap? Also whats a good budget for a gaming rig?

Excluding HDD's, probably $600 for a budget gaming rig. My brother just built a
E6550
GA-P35-DS3L
2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-6400
Corsair 520HX
3850 512MB
For about $600.

biostar back in the day was a crap company that put out mobos that worked for bout 5 mins. its not that bad now but there still not the best. i like em cause there so cheap and OC like mad.

I use ECS for the low cost but I have to say they are good on quality. They do suffer in OC quality so maybe they can merge with Biostar and become Biostar Elite Group.

they use cheap parts on there mobos that over time leak and smoke and blow up. if u get a good one its good. if u get a shaky one its hard to say how long it will last. like i said there not the best but i will buy them for the price and what they can do. I was really nervous bout buying a biostar mobo. and 1 out of the 2 of em are bad.

and if ur buying ECS while ur at it buy some PC and chips mobos.

Back