• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best SSD??? Fusion-IO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MIAHALLEN

Fusionio.jpg

Did anyone else hear about these back when they did the initial press releases in late Sept? They look to hold a lot of promise. I hear so much about SSD these days, and with the tech still in it's infancy...I wonder what will be the "killer app" which will be able to thrust the technology into the spotlight. With #'s like these, I think the Fusion IO could do it.

I am already running out of slots on my MB :( ....but when the prices come down it could become a solution....I only briefly read through the link, can they be raided???.......I rather like the SSDs that Dominick reviewed because with a raid card (one slot) then the SSDs are like normal drives (meaning they are in fixed positions in Hardrive bays) maybe motherboard designs and case designs will change to favor these over the "traditional" drive mounts...not sure if every1 will follow my logic on this train of thought...besides price is still an inhibitor for both this and the SSDs....dang the future is coming so darn fast...I might have to rethink everything in my box (case) in the next 8-12 months :bang head

@fraker:

Yea I am hoping that a year from now these will go for under $600 for 80GB....we'll see what happens, my eyes and ears are open now :beer:

Guys, please read my thread and post all SSD info within:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=530580

I have a whole slew of information on the Fusion IO.
I will be getting my hands on an 80GB version of the IO Drive direct from Fusion Io sometime in january!!! if everything is 100% regarding product marketing and launch date ;)

PS- For the 640GB linux server version, the price tag will be $19,200
For the 80GB Windows OS based drive, the price tag will be close to: $2400

Last edited:

I will be getting my hands on an 80GB version of the IO Drive direct from Fusion Io sometime in january!!! ;)

OH MY GOSH...you are going to get to play with one!!??? That will definitely be something to watch for.....Very very cool Dominick.

I'll have MIAHALLEN contact a Mod to have this merged into your thread if you want. I briefly looked through your thread on the Mtrons, didn't realize you were going to be furthering that discussion with a close look at these Fusion-IOs.

Please PM me about the Fusion-IOs when get ahold of them :santa:

OH MY GOSH...you are going to get to play with one!!??? That will definitely be something to watch for.....Very very cool Dominick.

I'll have MIAHALLEN contact a Mod to have this merged into your thread if you want. I briefly looked through your thread on the Mtrons, didn't realize you were going to be furthering that discussion with a close look at these Fusion-IOs.

Please PM me about the Fusion-IOs when get ahold of them :santa:

No problem bro! :drool::drool::drool: <--- Me waiting patiently for the IO Drive.

That Fusion card looks incredible. Only thing is that it would be cool if you could link 2 or more together for a "SLI/RAID" effect or something. Too bad SATA isn't yet fast enough for the projected speeds of this card. But the fact that I can say that is pretty awesome. :)

He did mention you could use more then 1 card and link them somehow but didnt get specific in the demo vid, I think that will be more for server farms though. One of these should be more then fast enough for a gamming pc without needing to raid for a long time. Think of it as 6-8 (based off current speeds) ssd drives already in raid 0 built right onto the raid controller. And this card is PCIE 4x, sata speeds dont matter.

Edit just found this on there site.

"What kind of performance gains can be achieved with the ioDrive™?
By implementing multiple ioDrives™ in a single server, a user is capable of achieving either of the following:

Augmenting DRAM to a Terabyte or more.
Achieving 400,000+ IOPS and 3.2GB/sec in a single machine. "

http://www.fusionio.com/faq.html

Last edited:
Holy crap!

How long will it be before hard drives are essentially another chip we just pop into place like ram?

de-rail
Can't wait to see what kind of results you get from that drive Dom. Oh and your new site looks very sharp... without the clutter of a lot of the other review sites out there. /de-rail

I will be getting my hands on an 80GB version of the IO Drive direct from Fusion Io sometime in january!!! if everything is 100% regarding product marketing and launch date ;)

very interesting. even though I don't like using a pci slot for these, the performance looks to be way ahead of SATA. 800Mbs, 100k IOPS ... you'd have to get a top tier controller and eight SATA drives in RAID 0 to get the same performance.

i look forward to both coming down in price, but right now i'd prefer a single fusion card to a controller + multi drive setup.

what are the random access times for the fusion IO? < 0.1ms?

Please diredt any furthur questions/comments to Dom's thread.

@Dom, sorry to rain on your parade man, great review BTW:beer:

Let's kill this thread please!

Given these prices it shouldnt be more then a year,maybe a year and a half before they 'affordable' for the average entusiast.Say 700 to 1000 USD for a 80Gb drive. :)

Back