• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vista desktop starts "snowing"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Once I start virtualdub, this happens, and the screen just gets even more "snowy" the longer I leave it. It just crashed the pc up until I uninstalled the nvidia wdm drivers - however I've never had the problem before. Brace yourself...

1000411mediumtl8.jpg

That just dances across the screen, like a wave of space invaders - and ATM, I simply can't read anything on the screen, since it's gotten worse, but at least vdub is working... vista claims that a driver is corrupt, but un-and-reinstalling the driver doesn't help, and there aren't any WDDM drivers for GF5 cards (AFAIK?)

Make sure the fan on your video card is working, and that the heatsink isn't caked with dust.

Ccan you try running Orthos and see if it's the load on the CPU that is causing this or if it's something else. My first guess is that when you are loading the CPU with virtualdub, the PSU isn't able to provide enough power to the vid card and it's going screwy. If that is the case, the PSU is caca. But I'd think running Orthos to load it would confirm/debunk that theory.

Ccan you try running Orthos and see if it's the load on the CPU that is causing this or if it's something else. My first guess is that when you are loading the CPU with virtualdub, the PSU isn't able to provide enough power to the vid card and it's going screwy. If that is the case, the PSU is caca. But I'd think running Orthos to load it would confirm/debunk that theory.

Actually, it's now also happening upon bootup. And booting into xp causes no problems at all, nor does booting the vista ghost boot disk. I'm going to try restoring my image, and go from there, since there doesn't seem to be an xp problem...

Actually, it's now also happening upon bootup. And booting into xp causes no problems at all, nor does booting the vista ghost boot disk. I'm going to try restoring my image, and go from there, since there doesn't seem to be an xp problem...
I would suggest looping a 3DMark test in XP before you revert to an earlier image of Vista. That way you can at least confirm or rule out a hardware problem.

I would suggest looping a 3DMark test in XP before you revert to an earlier image of Vista. That way you can at least confirm or rule out a hardware problem.

Before getting your msg, I re-ghosted vista. Worked fine up until just now. Booted into xp, having the same problem. Looks like I might have to get a new card - whats the minimum (i.e cheapest) card I can get that will "do" aero?

My Nvidia Geforce 7900GS did that same thing after exactly 9 months after my purchase. It actually did it for about 5 seconds and then failed completely. eVGA was pretty quick sending a replacement except they had to upgrade me to the 7900GT version most likely because the GS isn't made anymore. Get a replacement and you'll be fine.

I hope it's not because of bad quality control!

Reminds me of when I gotten a used Radeon 9800 Pro, (At least according to Windows XP SP2) then after the BIOS screen started getting corrupted, when at OC Forums, saw what appeared to be enough posts of Radeon 9800s with the same or similar problems for me to suspect bad quality control.

I hoped that Nvidia isn't going to be like that!

At least, an eVGA GeForce Ti 4200 that I put in another person's PC is going strong, knock on wood. Already had that one for well over 9 months with only minor problems, the fan sometimes groaning and sometimes gives random blue and black pixels, which I only saw on blank Windows XP workspace items and title bar areas out side of full screen 3D, but only saw that when cold and that definitely didn't fill the screen, thus appears to be a cold bugged video card.

Last edited:
I hope it's not because of bad quality control!

Reminds me of when I gotten a used Radeon 9800 Pro, (At least according to Windows XP SP2) then after the BIOS screen started getting corrupted, when at OC Forums, saw what appeared to be enough posts of Radeon 9800s with the same or similar problems for me to suspect bad quality control.

I hoped that Nvidia isn't going to be like that!

At least, an eVGA GeForce Ti 4200 that I put in another person's PC is going strong, knock on wood. Already had that one for well over 9 months with only minor problems, the fan sometimes groaning and sometimes gives random blue and black pixels, which I only saw on blank Windows XP workspace items and title bar areas out side of full screen 3D, but only saw that when cold and that definitely didn't fill the screen, thus appears to be a cold bugged video card.

Now how many of the cards that fail are overclocked or are in systems with poor ventilation? Something tells me it's more user error than quality control. not to say that there haven't been issues in the past with certain cards or something, but just that it's much more likely that it's the end user and not the manufacturing, in most cases.

Now how many of the cards that fail are overclocked or are in systems with poor ventilation? Something tells me it's more user error than quality control. not to say that there haven't been issues in the past with certain cards or something, but just that it's much more likely that it's the end user and not the manufacturing, in most cases.

That video card started up with that before even getting a chance to run 3D! :mad:
I also had it nice and cool.

Back