• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

damaged macbook pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

I was riding my bicycle yesterday back to my room from the library and we had a bit of an ice storm last night and i hit a few patches of black ice and i went down twice. My laptop was in my backpack inside a case but it still seemed to get some damage. So far it seems to be working perfectly and it does not seem any of my data was damaged. I am actually typing this on it right now. There is just some structural damage to it on the upper right side. Here are some pictures i took with my cell phone since i do not have a camera so excuse the quality.

Would it be ok if i took a small hammer or something and pushed that bit sticking out back in? I believe it is just aluminum so it should not be too big. The only problem i was thinking about was that piece that is bend upwards on the top side towards the screen. It s giving me trouble opening up now because it sometimes catches the screen. Could i bang that one down too?

Attachments

• IMG00088.jpg
    IMG00088.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG00089.jpg
    IMG00089.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG00090.jpg
    IMG00090.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG00091.jpg
    IMG00091.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 95
Yes, it would be just fine to bend it back into place. I wouldn't use a hammer per-se as you might crack the screen which is a $300 + 2 hour repair (going slowly). Trust me, I know. On the bright side, you can swap your matte screen (if you have one) for a glossy one ;).

The aluminum is pretty ductile and you should be able to massage it back to how it was before with a wood block or anything more solid than the case. I hope you didn't tweak the frame however. That might make closing it a bit difficult.

Also in the future you may want to use a fully padded bag. You can easily add foam to a backpack as well.

Back