• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual 8800 gt's question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nasvemos671

putting together a new rig, , i plan on running dual 8800 gt's. wanted some input as to what kind of cooling i should get. Is there really anything extreme i need to do to get them to run without nuking my computer? I'm kinda new to water cooling, so i wanna stay away from that until i feel confident enough to do it. Getting the antec 900 full tower case. any input would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Nate

You'll be fine on just air cooling, unless you're looking for a crazy overclock. Since the graphics cards come with coolers you won't need to do much in addition to that. Make sure to get a good cooler for your CPU, by the way which cpu did you select? The stock cooling on the 8800gt is sufficient for a fair overclock and certainly sufficient for running at stock speeds. It (8800gt) is noisy when the fan is turned up.

The 900 is a large case, but it's not a full tower. Cable management is a pain, hopefully you get one of the newer models with holes in the motherboard tray to manage the cables, and I highly recommend a modular power supply for that case. Managing the cables will ensure good airflow. You'll be fine to set up 2x 8800gt in it. It comes with 3 120mm fans and a gargantuan blow hole fan. You'll probably need 1-2 additional 120mm fans if you want to fill it up.

i run 8800gt sli in a armor case with lots of 120 yate loon fans

i run the fans on the cards at 60% 24/7, crysis gets them to 70c ina warm room

usually at room temp and most games I hit mid 60's

Modular means the cables are plug-in so that you only use what you need. It cuts down on trying to hide the extras, and thus makes routing the ones you do need much easier.

17-379-003-03.jpg

Last edited:
the antec 900 if you utilize all the places you can put fans is probably the best air cooling case, but a real PITA to work with.

coolermaster CM690 and the hx620 for the win put 7 high speed loons on a fan control and you will be set thats my setup only i have the hx520 don't let the price on the case fool you look in the case forum for the review it is one of the best cases of under 100 and zzf or clubit normaly have free shipping

Back