• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Minimal change in temps after ihs removal??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

conway

So I took the ihs off my 165 in an attempt to lower temps. I'm still using the stock Opteron heatsink(copper with heatpipes) to cool it, so I also had to sand down the underside of the motherboard bracket to get good contact and a solid mount on the cpu die. Well, all of that work, and at load it's only like 2-3 degrees cooler. :confused: My "hot core" bounces around between 54-56 running Orthos. It was pretty close to that with the ihs still in place.

Does this indicate that the factory hsf can't handle the thermal load? Everything is mounted solid and I know I'm getting good contact with the cpu die because I've checked it several times.

I had read that the factory opteron coolers were "decent" to use when overclocking, but maybe I'm expecting too much. Technically I guess it's working, but I'd like to get the temp down a bit if I can. I'm even undervolting atm and that's not really helping.

same results I had with my opteron 175. I heard that 5-10C is to expect but I didn't get that much.

same results I had with my opteron 175. I heard that 5-10C is to expect but I didn't get that much.

If I'd have known it was going to be such a small change I wouldn't have hassled with it. :(

Also true. I spent the longest 10 minutes of my life cutting my $250 chip off it's metal heat spreader and it made it out alive. I then spent another few minutes heating a knife to melt down the mounting feet of the socket. Then after horrible temps I realized that the socket was higher than the CPU diode so I had someone take a grinder to the heatsink to file down the part that hit the socket. After all was said and done and I spend about a week on a laptop I noticed very little lower temps. I however did finally get to meet 2.8 GHz at 1.5 Vcore. I am not sure if it was the new fan or the IHS removed or both.

Removing the IHS of a chip to lower temps is a crap shoot. I've done it several times and it's not always garanteed. Tho my temps did drop, I was looking for more.

I don't see how it couldn't help more than this though. The heat has like an eighth of an inch less material to travel through. :confused:

When I did my 165 a while ago I saw a dramatic drop in temps. I think my hot core dropped around 10 degrees and came close to my cool core, which only dropped about 2-3 degrees. This was on a Storm rev.2 , for what its worth.

When I did my 165 a while ago I saw a dramatic drop in temps. I think my hot core dropped around 10 degrees and came close to my cool core, which only dropped about 2-3 degrees. This was on a Storm rev.2 , for what its worth.

That sounds about like what I was hoping for. :mad:

I have De-lidded 2 X2's now, 1 the temps dropped 6C and the other I honestly couldnt tell the difference. Needless to say I am not going to bother anymore as it is a pain in the rear to do for little gain generally it seems though I keep reading about other peoples success stories.

Back