• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid0 Performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grate

Registered
Hi All,
Sorry, I don't know where to look in regards to what I should be expecting for speeds with my raid0 config.

I'm running my first raid0 config, and the performance seems questionable.

I am presently using a q6600 with a GA-P35-DS4.
I have two 250gb western digital drives with 16mb/7200rpm configured in raid0/128k striping.

My results with HDTune are below:

raid0.jpg

In the same system I have a regular seagate 500gb 16mb/7200 rpm, with results below:

nonraid.jpg

Is it normal for a raid0 config to only have a marginal level of performance over a single drive? I guess I was expecting better performance? Does anyone have any insight or suggestions. Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.:beer:

Hi,

Thanks for the follow up.
I am using the purple Gigabyte SATA2 connectors (located at the bottom of the board next to the pwr LED pin) and the corresponding driver from the Gigabyte website.

It looks like majinwar was having similar problems..

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=538617

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=538712

It looks like enabling write back cache helped him out, but he was using ICH9R.

As I am not using the ICH9R, I assume that the Intel Matrix Storage Manager won't allow me to enable this functionality for the drive. I won't be able to test this until later this evening though.

Thanks a bunch, as Vista has been configured to boot from the GSATA2 ports, I assume I will have to re-establish the raid on the new ports(ICH9R) (through bios), and reinstall Vista? Is this a safe assumption?

Sorry, forgot to mention in the previous post as well...

Should I move my SATA DVD rom drive and backup/storage drive to the GSATA2 controller.... or will leaving them in place on the ICH9R cause any problems?

Thanks a bunch, as Vista has been configured to boot from the GSATA2 ports, I assume I will have to re-establish the raid on the new ports(ICH9R) (through bios), and reinstall Vista? Is this a safe assumption?

But before you change, enable the RAID function of the ICH9R in BIOS first, then reboot.

Let Vista detect and install the drivers, then shut down and move them to th ICH9R controller. Restart, all should be good...

Ok, thanks for the information everyone, I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, Vista would not detect my raid0 after switched to (ICH9R), although my mobo/BIOS had no problems determining the config and I had booted to vista to load the drivers... this didn't really come too much of a surprise to me as I figured vista had copied over initial driver files for the GSATA2 config and was using those for boot.

So, I reinstalled Vista, no biggie, and ran hdtune without writeback:

intel.jpg

Already, a pretty significant gain.

With writeback:

intel_wb.jpg

Obvious gain over the above, and still miles ahead of the original config.

Thanks for your time and information, it is very appreciated. I'd gladly spend 2hrs of any day for this much of a boost in performance compared to my OP. Thanks so much, its greatly appreciated. :beer::beer:

Ugh. I was thinking of adding on two drives in Raid0 for games only like Joeteck has, but after reading this and a few other posts, the onboard Gigabyte controller looks like it would restrict the Transfer Rate and result in barely any performance gain over the single drives. :/

Back