• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i-RAM Box ??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froggy

Did I miss a press release? I can only find a single ebay seller selling these. Are they still in pre-production?

i-RAM Linky

Looks cool!

I remember seeing a PCI card from Gigabyte that did basically the same thing.
Depending on price I might try this out.

Magick_Man

Well I looked into it a bit and apparently it is the same product minus the pci interface.
I just with it was a bit cheaper.
180$ ish + 4gb of ram.
Maybe if it supported 8gb.

Magick_Man

Yeah, I did some research myself, the way these SSD's are headed, this is fast becoming slow & obsolete!

Yeah, this product is old...I think someone posted about it over a year ago...too lazy to search though :beer:

Never mind...that is different *looks*

EDIT: An entire 5.25 bay...and they can only do 4gb???? That is a horrible waste of space. The new SSD drives are 16+gb and take up the space of a 3.5" HDD....

Gigabyte, you are full of disappointment, lose and fail...

Its different only in that its using a 5.25" bay. Its the same i-Ram product, as the PCI version used the PCI bus solely for power, not for transferring data. It still connected via a SATA. It was the last product introduced I think about 2 years ago, just before Gigabyte was going to release an updated version which would have accepted 2GiB sticks of ram, as well as support SATA 3.0Gb. But it never came to production, and those 5.25" models are rare.

They should have used SO-DIMMS to save space and given it 8GB capacity or more this time around. You won't see anyone running Vista due to the space limitations.

Yeah, I did some research myself, the way these SSD's are headed, this is fast becoming slow & obsolete!

slow no, the original gigabyte iram maxed out the bandwidth of SATA 150, at 150MBps (and im sure the ram has ALOT MORE in it, i can guarentee it would max out SATA2 also), lmk when a ssd hits that

slow no, the original gigabyte iram maxed out the bandwidth of SATA 150, at 150MBps (and im sure the ram has ALOT MORE in it, i can guarentee it would max out SATA2 also), lmk when a ssd hits that

Have you seen Dom's review of this SSD that hits 120MB/sec read & has the same .1ms acces times as the i-RAM. For a 2nd gen. product, these things are gonna cook after a few more generations!

Dom's Review

Back