• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rom causing partial lockups.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterCraft

Title basically.

Every few minutes my rom will begin to spin up, even if there is no CD in the drive, but when it does it, the system just hangs, movies stop, games freeze, everything.

Once it hits full speed (1-3 seconds usually) it goes back to normal.

Any way to fix it? o_O

Drive is a plextor DVD, 16mb cache, can't look up the model # atm.

it ONLY does it when the drive spins up.

The drive itself works fine. It just halts everything for a few seconds anytime it spins up the disk (which is at random times)

does it does this with all disks or just one? Sounds like it's looking for something and can't find it

Check the system log for any error messages relating to cd-roms/optical drives. It might be having some kind of controller or drive error. Additionally, check device manager under IDE controller to make sure it's running in DMA vs PIO mode (note: disregard this if it's an SATA drive).

It's a Sata drive, no errors in the log.

The drive works fine, it just takes a second or two to spin up even if there is no disk in the drive, and when it does it causes my system to hang.

Never used to do that so I know it's not normal.

Back