• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 Ultra? Or just a 8800 GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tantalum

Registered
Should I just go out and buy a 8800 Ultra(I plan on overclocking) as a upgrade from my 6800? Or should I just get a 8800 GTX and overclock that to the stock speeds of the Ultra? What I am mainly wondering is if the Ultra will get any significantly higher clocks then the normal GTX is capable of?

Yes, the Ultra overclocks much better. You need to see if both are within your budget...or if you could put your money elsewhere ;)

:welcome: to the forums!!! :D:D

Well, Right now I am using a Evga 680i mobo with a E6850@4Ghz and 2gigs of ram.. I am mainly going to use this computer to play games.At the moment I am using a evaporative cooling tower for my water cooling. My CPU sits at 27C per core on idle and about 34C per core on load.

Forget the GTX and the ultra, you already have the board so grab 2 GT's in SLI and smoke everybody. Check my sig for 06 scores with my SLI setup.

Its the smart thing to do.

If you buy an Ultra now, you may be very sorry earlyy next year when they release the G92 GTX and/or Ultra.

At the VERY least I would get an Evga card and HOPE the new ones come out before the three months ends.

My suggestion is to either wait, or get a GT then sell it when the new GTX/Ultra comes out if you still want one.

Either dual GT's or Dual GTS's (G92) would be the clear choice to me. Buying one Ultra right now is really stupid. Especially when dual GT's will totally outperform the ultra and will leave some money in your pocket too. Plus SLI is more fun.

Forget the GTX and the ultra, you already have the board so grab 2 GT's in SLI and smoke everybody. Check my sig for 06 scores with my SLI setup.

Its the smart thing to do.

Without knowing the resolution and AA level he is planning on running that can be very bad advice lol.

Viper

If you buy an Ultra now, you may be very sorry earlyy next year when they release the G92 GTX and/or Ultra.

At the VERY least I would get an Evga card and HOPE the new ones come out before the three months ends.

My suggestion is to either wait, or get a GT then sell it when the new GTX/Ultra comes out if you still want one.

There isn't going to be a G92 GTX/Ultra and there never was. The only G92 left to release before
the G100 cards in the 2nd Quarter of 2008 will be the dual G92 D8E in January/early February.
That card is dual PCB GX2 style SLI card and is a gap filler/ATI twin core matcher before the G100
cards pop out.

Viper

Well, After doing a bit more reading up on the recent cards that have been released I think I am just going to go with a 8800 GTS 512mb from Evga. If needed I could even buy a second one later on this year and run it in SLI but I doubt I would need to do that.

If what you are saying about the releasing of the G100 cores is true then I still have a good deal of time before it comes out.

The 8800 GTS should be enough for now without being overly expensive and should be able to run most games including crysis at 1600x1200 while still being able to keep it somewhat pretty

Well, After doing a bit more reading up on the recent cards that have been released I think I am just going to go with a 8800 GTS 512mb from Evga. If needed I could even buy a second one later on this year and run it in SLI but I doubt I would need to do that.

If what you are saying about the releasing of the G100 cores is true then I still have a good deal of time before it comes out.

The 8800 GTS should be enough for now without being overly expensive and should be able to run most games including crysis at 1600x1200 while still being able to keep it somewhat pretty

If you do get the one with Crysis. Makes it a much better deal.

At 1600x1200 you are fine with 512Mb's.

Viper

Anandtech came down pretty hard on the ultra calling it a waste of money:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2979

While at the $830 selling price of an Ultra at the time of that article the Ultra was kinda low on the
bang return for the buck spent scale but Anandtech was still full of crap on that call. When the
higher clocked MSI Ultra's at under $600 hit the market it made that statement absolute BS.

The normal stock Ultra's were/are grossly under clocked out of the box especially on the shaders
and memory. When they were stock OC'ed to the max and the ultra's shader clocks were increased
in bios (don't even have to do that with the 169.xx drivers now) they simply disembowel and other
GFX card at ultra high resolutions. That includes a GTX that is stock oc'ed to the max too (which is
the only other choice for the ultra high resolution crowd.

Viper

Back