• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow internet connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zak62592

Registered
My connection had dropped to a decent 1000 kbps to a horrible 181. I can't stand it, it's like dial up all over again

I think this may have to do with the holiday shopping, seems charter's server's probably can't handle it :santa:

211209543.png
bwahahahahaha

Anyway, have you verified your speed with neighbors or friends in your area? Also, is that the only ISP in your area? When I'm not at school there's only one ISP choice in my town, so I feel your pain.

Nope, not yet

The only cable provider is Charter, and obviously there's At&t, but I'm not a big fan of DSL

Where do you live?
I have noticed that Charter has had some MAJOR slowdowns lately, but those were temporary here and have dissipated now.
Edit:
I'm getting what I was advertised, 5Mb down, 512k up
211222532.png

If you arent getting your rated speed, call up Charter. Also, make sure that if you have a router, to connect a PC directly to the modem and see if your speed increases. If it does significantly, then your router is to blame.

Sounds simple but kill the power to both the modem and the router then turn the power back on.
I used to have to do that at least once a week when I had cable.
I have DSL now and I still have to do that.

If you arent getting your rated speed, call up Charter. Also, make sure that if you have a router, to connect a PC directly to the modem and see if your speed increases. If it does significantly, then your router is to blame.

as long as you are getting your speed from your house to their gateways, you are getting that you paid for, once you leave their systems, your SOL, thyew cant control internet traffic and problems, why your speeds are only gaurenteed to their networks, not outside of them.

call for sure incase something is wrong, or try other sites.

If you have a wireless router, make sure you have it secured and encrypted. 90% of the people I see in the store because they're having internet slowdown problems are sharing their net connection with the whole neighborhood and don't even know it.

Back