• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aftermarket coolers for the 3850's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baggedmazda

I am getting the 3850 and want to know what will fit not to picky about the noise i run my x800 pro on 100% all the time and i have 7 high speen loons at 12 volts most of the time

The DuOrb fits, but it's not really necessary as far as I'm concerned. If you have 7 high speed loons on full speed then you could more than likely run the 3850 fan at 75-100% and not even notice it and have plenty of cooling. These cards, at stock voltage, have the same overclocking overhead with stock as with aftermarket.

I have Zalman VF900 Cu ( cheaper than duorb :p and I already had one from old gfx ) on both cards and temps are lower about 20*C under load comparing to stock cooler.

This thread at XS is why i got the AC Accelero S1.

If you have spare 120mm or bigger fans and room for, well, 3 slot cooling then the S1 should be the cheapest and a very serious performer. Win, Win :beer:

But that said, vixro is giving good advice, unless you're planning to volt mod aftermarket probably isn't needed.

I have Zalman VF900 Cu ( cheaper than duorb :p and I already had one from old gfx ) on both cards and temps are lower about 20*C under load comparing to stock cooler.

Sweet, I just picked up a Zalman VF900-CU (on sale way cheaper then Du-Orb), and was wondering if it would fit or not on my card, but was curious if I wasted my $, hopefully the installation isn't to tricky to figure out (I've never installed a heatsink before)

well i have another 10 high speed loons sitting around so i might as well put some to use.I have aftermarket cooling on everything else so why not i never like stock anything i cut new trucks up for fun maybe i am just not right in the head

i am ordering the s1 i am gona try to strap 2 120's on it i can make a mount. On a side note has anyone seen the fan upgrade they offer for this kind of a funny mount system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186021

Yeah, I'd just rather use a zip/twist tie combo to mount fans i already have sitting around. I haven't seen a review comparing the turbo module to strapped on fans(turbo module to passive...) but there is no way the turbo module can move the air that 2x 120mm fans can.

yep i got some more high speed yates laying here i am just gona put them on my fan controler too

One thing that annoys me is I see reviews and people in the forums saying "oh my god, XYZ HSF is awesome, 20C cooler!"....ok, that's great, but did that increase your core or mem OC? That's what I want to know, I mean I can buy a 20 dollar HSF and strap it on my CPU or GPU, and maybe I do get lower temps, but will those temps let me up me OC? Sometimes yes sometimes no. on GPU's I've had mixed results (this was back in the Geforce 1/2/3 days)...and I would mount full blown CPU HSF's drilled to fit...and get very small increases in actual OC temps, even though temps were down.

I've sinced used stock on because the added cost for aftermarket wasn't worth the none to small gains. I now save the cash and just upgrade more often.

by lowering the temps i feel safer and i know it will last longer will i get more overclock who knows but i will be running cooler thats what i want seeing temps in the 80's scrares the crap out of me my current card don't get above 40c and idles at 28-29 and there is alot less noise compared to the stock cooling i don't think i will notice 2 more yates in my cm690 i already have 7 on high most of the time anyway

I heard the ramsinks arent that great with the S1, i am trying to decide which cooler to get for my 512meg 3850.

Use superglue.

ajrettke said:
One thing that annoys me is I see reviews and people in the forums saying "oh my god, XYZ HSF is awesome, 20C cooler!"....ok, that's great, but did that increase your core or mem OC?

Well to the XS thread he got 1002/1320 on air with a HD3870

Last edited:
they make thermal tape i would just buy some if you order the s1 or they make perment thermal adhesive. On a side note i pimped my order up to the 3870 i figure for 40 more i can get a little more fps when i move to a 22in lcd from my 19in i have now

Back