• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there anything BAD about Modular PSU's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firemann

Registered
As title says....Any downsides to modular cabling? I know the positives are that theres much less cables cluttering your case...which on my new build is my ultimate goal(along with it being fast :p).

Also, for ~100 bucks, what is the best Modular PSU to run a normal setup with Q9450 and a single 9x series nvidia(IF they are out by Feb)...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Only if you're looking to cycle the connectors about a hundred times ;)

Corsair HX520 or HX620 would get my vote. The 520W comes in at around the $100 mark and would work perfectly.

Welcome to the forums!

Only if you're looking to cycle the connectors about a hundred times ;)

Corsair HX520 or HX620 would get my vote. The 520W comes in at around the $100 mark and would work perfectly.

Welcome to the forums!

Ok cool...ya my brother has the HX520 and said he has had no problems with it...he's got a C2D, 7900gt, 1 Raptor and 2 more HD's(3 total).

I'll keep a watch out to see if theres any good sales on that.

Any more suggestions?

1 more question....sounds like the HX520 will do fine with 1 GPU, but if in the future I ever wanted SLI, it would no longer suffice?

I really dont plan on doing SLI, jes wonderin:confused:

You'd probably want at leats a 600w for SLI. It really depends on how much stuff you are powering. To be safe, a 700w PSU would be fairly future proof as far as SLI goes.

And as for Modular PSUs, I personally won't use them again. I find the cables are often too thick, and despite ther ebeing less cables, they tak eup just as much if not more space, and are harder to hide.

The cables also tend to make them not as consistent as non modular PSUs with regards to voltage, at leats in my experience.

the 520hx can handle sli with (2) 8800gt and also 8800gts but probably not ultra's or gtx's....

yeah for the value 520hx is a great deal. I got mine for 65$ amir and discount, was a great deal

the 520hx can handle sli with (2) 8800gt and also 8800gts but probably not ultra's or gtx's....

yeah for the value 520hx is a great deal. I got mine for 65$ amir and discount, was a great deal

Wow that is a great deal! Newegg has it for 110 shipped right now.

Ill keep my eye on the other sites as well...

You'd probably want at leats a 600w for SLI. It really depends on how much stuff you are powering. To be safe, a 700w PSU would be fairly future proof as far as SLI goes.

And as for Modular PSUs, I personally won't use them again. I find the cables are often too thick, and despite ther ebeing less cables, they tak eup just as much if not more space, and are harder to hide.

The cables also tend to make them not as consistent as non modular PSUs with regards to voltage, at leats in my experience.

Ya thats why I made this post...I have heard the thing about the voltage before with modular.

If I didn't get modular, I would definately want to get sleeved wires, so they don't look near as bad.

Any suggestions?

I found a rosewell PSU that has black sleeves over all of the wires that looks sharp...not sure how rosewell is though.

As title says....Any downsides to modular cabling? I know the positives are that theres much less cables cluttering your case...which on my new build is my ultimate goal(along with it being fast :p).

Also, for ~100 bucks, what is the best Modular PSU to run a normal setup with Q9450 and a single 9x series nvidia(IF they are out by Feb)...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fireman,

None that I have seen either! You'll love it, 5 year warranty and quiet. It will run any single video card you want to put in your rig and many in SLI. I asked the same question a long time ago to Oklahoma Wolf, he was right as usual. :)

I think the HX520 modular cables are easier to manage than non-modular PSU cables, personally.

The only downside to modular power supplies, isn't that they're modular. But there are a few crappy ones on the market that require you to plug in every cable anyway(making the modular aspect pointless)

If you're looking for strict cable management, prepare to do some modding to the 900. It's a great case, but managing cables in it is a pain.

Ya I have read that some, but the other case I really liked, P182, I hear is horrible to work with as well.

Thats why I have a Dremel:beer:

But I asked for the case a while ago(while it was like 60 bucks shipped during thxgiving) and I believe its already been purchased....so not much I can do...

I heard that modular power supplies all burst into flames. May even burn your house down.

And Ultra PSU's... they actually explode like dynamite. Heard of a guy that lost his arm from one going off while he was working inside!

Oh wait... that didn't really happen. :D

EDIT: Really, I'm just joking about the flames and explosions. ;)

Last edited:
I heard that modular power supplies all burst into flames. May even burn your house down.

And Ultra PSU's... they actually explode like dynamite. Heard of a guy that lost his arm from one going off while he was working inside!

Oh wait... that didn't really happen. :D

Well I can deal with the fire part, thats not a problem for me....but I definately dont wanna loose an arm!:eek:

-5 for Rosewill!!!

...if hasn't been mentioned to you yet...

Friends dont let Friends by Rosewill.

Just got my New system up and have the Corsair HX520 and couldnt be happier it was a charm to work with an packaged very well.

The only PSU's I have heard of catching Fire are usually full of dust,

Oh I just want to point out... there is one drawback to using a modualr PSU.

The are larger then non modular PSUs. This is not really a problem for a good sized case with nothing in front of the PSU... but once you get into highwattage and oversized PSUs to start with... slap anoterh 1/2" on the length because its modualr then another 2-3" for room to leave the cables room to flex before having to drop down... or good forbid you want to swap them around... then nothing in front of it at all.

Just for kicks (I am house sitting) I put my Galaxy 850W PSU into a mid tower... Its a great example of too big a psu problems. (will try and get a pic later)

Back