• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 2Kpro over Win 98...questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ohgr

Registered
I've currently got the full version of win98se on my system and would like to install the upgrade version of Win2Kpro to make best use of my hardware ( mainly the ram ).
Thing is I'm not sure if I should re-fromat my HD and install the upgrade of win2k for best results. Or if it would be ok to just install it over win98 like it says to do.
I'd really prefer a clean system without win98 under win2k, or have microsoft fixed it so I have to have win98 to install win2k?

hhmmm....? :burn:

DO NOT UPGRADE! Always do a clean install. You should also format your HD to NTFS, way better than fat.

You have the option of installing 2k onto your FAT32 partition (the one with Win98se on it) without wiping Win98se, and then you can dual boot.

But if you decide to reformat, use NTFS (NT filesystem).

Well you could just go in to Fdisk, delete the current partition. Then just start the install from the win2k disk. When asked what file system to use, just choose NTFS. Then it will create the new partition for you and reformat the drive.

I converted to NTFS and Win2000 is already showing how much better it is over win98 :D So far all my hardware has worked without a problem...unlike when it was under win98.

Ohgr said:
I converted to NTFS and Win2000 is already showing how much better it is over win98 :D So far all my hardware has worked without a problem...unlike when it was under win98.

Did you do a upgrade though?

You will even notice a more improvement if you were to do a clean install since you probably still have Windows 98 and a new os is always faster.

yep I did the clean install.......hhmmm, sorry the way I worded my last post sounded like i'd upgraded.

I have never seen an upgrade that went well: clean install is the way to go. A dual boot-install will be a clean install next to 98, but you won't get ntfs- and I think ntfs is worth it: New Technology File System, and I think its faster, less prone to losing data too.

Back