• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lots of HD's need help with setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlk289

I have:
2 x 250gb
1 x 120gb
1 x 80gb
1 x 320gb
total: 1020gb
*all ide drives

i'm back for break from college and wish to make a home server so i can stream my music to my laptop at college or send anything else. I would like to have 520gb of storage the other 520gb to backup all my data. I need to get a raid card given that i only have 2 ide slots avalible on my mobo and my current raid card is about to die. I need some help on where to start

What is a good Raid card?
How would i go about with backing up my data?

thank you very much for the responses

I cant say much for the raid since i have only done raid with on board sata. I use Drive Image XML to backup my raid partition once a week (just in case). It is very simple to setup and retrieve data from the xml file.

alright i'll take a look at it, do i need to have my drives in a partition for drive image xml to work? with all my different sizes i don't think that is a possiblity

I assumed that if you are getting a raid card you would be running JBOD. If you are going to just have them as seperate drives it will work fine you will just have to back each up individualy.

Back