• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth it to......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

I don't plan on upgrading my pc for another year.

I am contemplating on purchasing another evga 7800GTX KO edtion card on ebay to run in SLI to get me by.

I also saw a plain 7800gtx with core of 470 on the egg. Will this 470 core run in SLI with my current 490 core which is currently overclocked.

Another thing is I will have to purchase another slim maze4 block for my second card.

Do you think it is really worth it to spend the money on another card to run in SLI to last me another year?

It depends on your budget..what equipment MB-cpu-etc you have now and what you want to do with your computer.

If you have PCIe it might be more worthwhile to sell your 7800, and get something nicer like an 8800GT.

Need more info, though, as toddd240 said.

CoolerMaster Stacker STC-TO1

I still have the system in my signature:

AMD Athlon 64 4400+ [email protected]
ASUS A8N32-SLI Dekuxe2 x 1GB Corsair XMS 3500LL Pro DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit @ (1:1) 2-3-2-6
EVGA 7800GTX KO Edition
2 x 36.7GB WD Raptors(Raid 0)|Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM SATA 7K250 Hard Drive
SB Audigy 2 ZS
OCZ Powerstream 520W
Vantec 305 Nexus Fan Controller
Alphacool Laing DDC Pump
Swiftech Storm
DD Maze 4
Black Ice XtremeII equiped w/ DD Stacker Shroud w/2 Sanyo Denki San Ace
Windows XP Pro w/SP2

Well pcs have taken a back seat. Used to be on this forumn a lot 2 years ago. But my 2006 Topbanana Charger has taken over my hobby lately. Being married, 2 kids and all, bought a larger house and 2 last mods to do to car, I will not be building a pc till next year.

If one 8800gtx does better than 2 7800GTX in sli maybe I will wait and just get one.

First priority is getting CNC cylinder heads and nitrous to complete my car, selling my SuperChips and getting Diablosport tuner, then I will build me another kick arse pc.

Depending on your res you game at just getting a single 8800gt or the G92 8800gts might be better. They will play everything. I recently upgraded from a 7950gx2 to 8800gt. Even a single gt made improvement.

Although if your only playing games from a year or so ago a second gtx would be ok. Even some would would run ok depending on settings like COD4. You could also run a very reduced Crysis. With my 7950gx2 I ran crysis ok at medium settings no aa.

Last edited:
Don't get an 8800GTX. An 8800GT is a lot cheaper and will give you the same performance in most situations. Get the GT and then sell your current card. You will smoke a 2x7800GTX SLI setup!

thanks. got a link to newegg showing a good evga 8800gt card.

which perticular evga serial # should I purchase?

hell $300 aint bad at all. when cardvsells maybe ill pick up another one.

looks like I will have to get a dd low profile maze5.

Back