• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clicking sound on hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glasszon

One of my raid 1 hard drive decides to start making clicking noise consistently yesterday night, I can still access the hard drive's contents, but it's WAY slower than usual.
I tried turning all the process off and it still keeps on doing it, is my hard drive dying?:eek:
I tried to find a software to check on my hard drives but I can't find one that works with RAID.

By the way, some of the data on that RAID is crucial, that's why I run on RAID 1 because if those data goes missing, it will take me at least a few months (if not a year) to gather the information again for my University project.

Thanks for everyone's help. :)

Yes it probably is dying. Id back up ASAP and look into the warranty on it.

:cry: It was a seagate hard drive so it got a 5 year warranty, the only problem now though is I don't know which one is broken, since as you know in RAID 1 both hard drive have the exact same contents and I can't tell which one are making the clicking noise.

Unplug them one at a time to see which one it is.

Thanks, :beer: guess I am just too scared to think properly right now because I will be in a lot of trouble if I lose those data.:bang head
Will update once I get home and try it out, currently at work.

move them apart a bit or keep em plugged in outside your case, and listen, it should be easy to tel which one once they are apart and not stacked close together

You have RAID1 so you are pretty darn safe. If the drive fails you still have the other drive there w/ all the data on it. Go ahead and submit an RMA, and see if they'll cross-ship. Then just wait for the new drive, and rebuild your array.

This is one of those times you know your thinking to your self "dam i am glad i did raid 1 and not raid 0"

Thanks for everyone's help, I think I found which one is causing the problem, but I will confirm tomorrow just make sure I didn't keep the bad one and send back the good one lol.

I totally agree this situation shows perfectly why there is never a bad thing to run RAID 1 (except benchmarking of course :) )

Could also be your PSU. I've had two PSU's fail on me and both times I had a clicking or as I'd call it, chirping sound from not all of the drives but just one. It wasn't the HDD running out of juice but my PSU although I was convinced at one time it was, until I contacted Seagate. I replaced the PSU and no more noise from the drive and no more occasional read/write errors.

if its slow to access, its probably dieing, but my hds click when i use vista. it drives me crazy. xp is fine tho.

Also, probably not the case, but could be a virus. I've heard of it doing it and a family friend had a pc that done that until I checked their drive for virus and they had a ton. Needless to say, I reformatted the drive and reinstalled Windows and although still a noisy old drive, it didn't get that specific type of clicking anymore.

My hard drive is back and in working order now, it is indeed the hard drive causing all the chaos, after I rebuild my RAID 1 array, everything is working perfectly once again. :)

Back