• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap PC Components

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalicoDreams

Registered
Hi,

This is most likely in the wrong section, please feel free to tell me where to post in future. Well anyway, I am building a cheap pc to overclock (individual components under 100 AUD).

Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 (1.8Ghz)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Patriot PDC22G6400LLK 4-4-4-12 800mhz

From my understanding, I will not need to overclock the ram if I keep the cpu overclock to 3.00Ghz or less (which would be a crazy OC anyway).

So my questions are:

Will this overclock decently?
Does anyone know of any better value for money options?
Can someone recommend a cheap quality PSU, or should i use a stock one that comes in a case, or do i really need to buy a good one?
A cheap graphics card that can play the latest games, crazy high resolution is not necessary as I will probably using a 17" screen.
Anything any one can think of that i have missed?

Value for money is key.

Thanks in advance,

Calico Dreams

If you want something cheap check out the rig in my signature. I paid about 500 USD for it without the monitor, keyboard,mouse, case, fans or optical drive

That 2160 has a 200MHz FSB, so you'd have to get it up to 400 just to get the RAM to run stock (if you run 1:1). That would put you at 3.6GHz (100% OC), so your RAM will not hold you back at all!

You'll probably end up running your RAM on a multiplier, or running it w/ super-tight timings, or running a lower CPU multi if you can get the FSB up that high w/ that chip.

7600GT or equivilent for ~100 bucks would be my bet for a decent GPU for cheap.

PSU - any good PSU over 300W should do fine for that rig (Corsair VX or HX, Antec Earthwatts, Seasonic S12)

FWIW, the system in my sig cost me $500 after rebates with the exception of the backup Samsung HDD that I had laying around.

if you want to be able to play the newer games w/out a problems you will need a 8600gt or better...ati 3850 is a really good deal...170

Another vote for the HD3850. The 256MB version can be had for $179, 512MB version for $199. I just built someone a machine and of course tested it out on UT3 before handing it over. I was very impressed with the performance of that card.

Back