• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seem to hit a wall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowpr

Registered
First my pc:
MB: Asus P5K
CPU: E6750
Ram: 2x2gb DDR2 1000 G.Skillz
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultima-90

I had my pc overclocked to 3.4ghz with a vcore of 1.37. The fsb was at 425. I tried to push the fsb to 450 and it would load windows, but I can't pass Orthos. I have my vcore up to 1.4625 now and still only get a few minutes into Orthos before it fails.

Some things I have tried along with raising the vcore is: enabled voltage dampener, disabled cpu spread sepctrum, disabled pcie spread spectrum.

I have my ram at stock timings and voltage, but lowered the spead to be in 1:1 with the fsb.

Any suggestions to help me get over this apparent wall?

This is my first attempt at overclocking, so please excuse me if I missed something obvious.

Not yet.

Would it be better to lower the multi and then just raise the fsb?

Is that what I should set it to in bios, or do I need to add to that to compensate for vdroop?

I have the plain ole regular P5K.

Going to go up the voltage now, and see how that goes.

there is a pencil vdropp mod for the plain P5K. have you also locked the PCIE at 101? what are your other voltages set to? what about load temps you see at a stable oc? do you have any active cooling on the NB?

Bloop is on the right, i just want to know what you have or have done.

I have the cpu voltage set to 1.4875 right now. The fsb at 450 with a multiple of 8. I'm running orthos small fft's test, priority 1 for almost an hour so far, and it's all good.

I have PCIE set to 100.

My ram voltage set to 2.0 as recommended by g.skillz.

All other voltages are set to auto. Not sure if I should try to set them manually, or just wait till i get stable, then see if I can set them and stay stable.

I have no active colling except for on the processor.

My temps according to core temp is sitting at 52C right now, after an hour into Orthos.

if its still unstable go from auto
NB to 1.33
CPUVTT up 2 notches

if you plan to go higher on the fsb find a small fan you can attach to the NB.

Ok. Will do.

Quick question, what is the default auto setting on the NB?

What is the VTT? I don't think I see that in the MB manual.

Should I ever touch the cpu voltage reference, the nb voltage reference, orclock over charging mode?

EDIT: Is the PCIE supposed to be at 100 or 101? I thought I read that it was supposed to be 100.

the auto setting is more then likly the defualt 1.25v for the NB. cpuvtt helps with increasing cpu stablity in cases where more cpu voltage doesnt or sometimes needs to be upped with NB to stablize the system overall. messing with voltages is ok as long as you have the cooling to do so and dont go nuts with voltage.

when ocing some times the PCI speed doesnt lock at 100 so using 101 hard locks better then 100. while its suppose to be 100mhz 101 isnt going to hurt anything, i run rig #1 pcie @110mhz without any problems.

Ok. I was stable for 5 hours on Orthos with the fsb at 450 and a cpu voltage of 1.4875.

I tried to up the fsb to 475. I can't get stable in Orthos. Windows will boot up fine, and I'm even using it to type this, but it won't last more then 2 seconds in Othos. I upped the voltage to 1.5125, and set the NB voltage too 1.4. Not sure where to go from here, besides trying to up the cpu votlage some more, but wouldn't that be a bit more on the risky side for 24/7 use?

Should I bother trying to up the NB voltage?

And how bad is it to run at 1.6 voltage 24/7?

What would be the highest I could go for 24/7 use? 1.52? 1.54?

Just looking for a ceiling to try and see if I can get it to work, if not, then I'll just stick to 3.6 and be happy with my first attempt at an overclock.

well on good/high end air the norm 24/7 is 1.5-1.55v and on water its 1.6-1.65v. these are actuall votlages not what you set in the bios. temps are the main thing to watch out for,as they tell you if you can run higher voltages. just remember to keep a 20c buffer to the Tjunction of the cpu, via coretemp.

Back