• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec TruePower 2.0 550W Enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the link.

According to the form, I'll only need 468W~.

Any other concerns maybe?

Technically it is enough, due to the crappy capacitors used in that PSU, it will almost certainly die soon. These power supplies (Antec Truepower/Smartpower) are notorious for using capacitors that blow up when exposed to sustained heat, out of the four friends I have with this PSU two have had theirs die, and I'm just waiting on the call from the other two.

Get yourself a nice Corsair, Silverstone or Ultra (X3) unit, that Antec is a ticking time bomb.

Surely someone else must have input.

Mike,

I can attest to two TP480s with failed capacitors. Antec has improved their newer Earth Watt and NEO HE models but as FP stated with his suggestions, there are much better choices than those new model Antecs for the money.

My Antec TP 2.0 550W lasted about 2 years and got my 3800X2 all the way to 2.9ghz. Only reason I sold it was because I won a 1kW Coolermaster. I say its a good Power Supply.

What a coincidence! My Antec TPII 550 just died today after 2 years running an opty 175 @ 2.75 GHz 24/7. We had a power failure (was plugged into a surge suppressor) followed by no juice to the mobo.

I tested the voltage from a molex after shorting the startup pins and could only find the 5 volt line hot running 4.5 volts. The 12 volt line was dead.

I just ordered a PCP&C 470 to replace it.

We experienced nearly a 30% return rate on these PSUs when they first came out due to blown capacitors (28 out of 100 units sold). Suffice it to say that we no longer carry Antec Truepower 2.0 series PSUs.

As FP suggested, get a Corsair or Silverstone. Your hardware will thank you in the long run.

The PCP&C units are also great power supplies, the Silencers are at the same level as the Corsair HX/VX units as far as build quality and performance, but they don't do anything to deserve the extra money over a Corsair unit.

Back