• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7200 vs 10000rpm Harddrives - pro/cons ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panneskjegg

Registered
Hey

I currently have a Seagate Spinpoint 500gb S-ATA Harddrive (7200RPM). Im quite happy with it's performance, and it barely makes any noise.

My brother just bought a new WD Raptor 150gb, so I can get his old Raptor (72gb) for ~free (I'll just buy him some food for the harddrive). The thing is, I am well aware of that god awful noise that harddrive makes.. so im trying to find out wheather I should install windows on the Seagate HD or the WD Raptor HD. Is the +2800rpm gain worth it (when considering the noise it makes) ? What 'improvement' will I notice with a faster HD ?

Pro/cons?

it will be louder...no denying that but it will have a lot better access time so will feel a lot snappier when opening progs n stuff.

long story short, i think the performance boost is overrated and the noise is over-exagerated.

give the raptor a try. see if you can tell any difference in performance. personally, i don't really notice the performance differences during daily use activities

i think the the noise all depends on where you're coming from. me, i was used to old school drives from 5+ years ago and a P4 with a noisy CPU fan. The raptor is silent in comparison. no contest. my wife can't believe how quiet the new build is... (Q6600 in my sig with a single 150GB raptor)

When i switched (temporarily) from my 15k scsi drive to a still very fast 10k scsi drive, the difference was very noticeable. Opening a program or file on the faster drive was MUCH quicker, but obviously gaming performance was either not affected or barely at all. The difference might also be due to in part the difference in SCSI standards (Ultra320 and Ultra160)

And the noise is often exaggerated - my 15k drive is only 1 dBa louder than my 10k

I must be used to the noise. I have 6 raptors within 18 inches of my head and all I hear is fans with some background chattering.

I should warn you - when a high RPM drive isn't mounted correctly, it can get god awful

But as long as you use rubber grommets you probably won't notice the difference

I should warn you - when a high RPM drive isn't mounted correctly, it can get god awful

good point. mine is also mounted in a P180B with the supplied rubber grommets fwiw

long story short, i think the performance boost is overrated and the noise is over-exagerated.

I found the same thing. People who say things "feel" faster and what not I honestly think it's mostly in their head (confirmation bias wiki).

It's worth a shot, and even if people think it's faster...well hell to them it is and that's all that matters.

oh so true, you see it more in older drives (i have a 20 gb SCSI 10k OS Drive on my server and its just loud trying to open programs up. )

Just a nit-pick: Seagate don't make Spinpoint drives - Samsung do.
You're right , I meant Samsung :)

I've installed the Raptor now, and as mentioned, programs do open a bit faster. But not by much, really. Maybe Im just 'spoiled' with the new raptor and don't remember how 'slow' the Samsung was, hehe.

When i switched (temporarily) from my 15k scsi drive to a still very fast 10k scsi drive, the difference was very noticeable. Opening a program or file on the faster drive was MUCH quicker, but obviously gaming performance was either not affected or barely at all. The difference might also be due to in part the difference in SCSI standards (Ultra320 and Ultra160)

And the noise is often exaggerated - my 15k drive is only 1 dBa louder than my 10k

SCSI can be really hit or miss and if you’re not using something fairly close to the most recent line of SCSI drives you’ll quickly find that performance of newer 7200RPM drives will have eclipsed the older SCSI technology.

Like for example, I got a Fujitsu MAU3036NP which is one of the fairly current 15k scsi models. It has a single 36gb platter and spins at 15k rpm, has a transfer rate of 100-60MB/sec. I went on ebay and also bought a few older 15k fujitsu SCSI drives to round things out. I got two additional 36g models, but these ones were MAM series drives which were a 4x9.1g platter design.

The two didn’t even compare. The MAM drive pretty much picked up where the MAU drive left off, having a transfer speed of 60-40MB/sec or so and all in all was really not that fast, seeming even slower than the 36g first gen raptor I also had in my box at the time. Beyond that, the MAM drive was so loud it was retarded. It wasn’t loud the same way a loud fan is loud, it had a unique high-pitched whine that would seem to break through any and all barriers; I could hear it clear across my house.

Another example, I have a dual xeon rackmount server that I’ve used for hosting games at LANparties in the past. I got the server 2nd hand, and it had two 10k 9.1gb drives and a 10k 18.2gb drive. I was just running a Counter-Strike: Source server on it. The server files were on the 18.2gb drive at first. I noticed it was taking a long time to switch maps. I eventually changed it over to using the two 9.1gb drives in raid-0 to try to speed things up. The maps would load so slowly that people were actually complaining. We then switched over to using a laptop with a 80gb 5400rpm drive in it and the problems more or less went away. I ran hdtach and hdtune on the server and was totally taken back by just how slow the SCSI drives in there were.

So yeah, my point is that it’s almost worthless to go with older SCSI tech, and it will really not be representative of what a current 10k or 15k drive would be. I’m not surprised in the least bit that you found your smaller, older 10k drive to be slower than your newer, larger 15k drive. That certainly does not mean, nor would it really make any sense to say that a drive with a faster RPM will automatically be, or even “feel” faster. Building on that, it’s more difficult to make a definitive conclusion as to which drive will be faster when comparing a current 7200rpm drive with what is now a fairly old tech 74g raptor; certainly much more so than if you were comparing against a current 16mb cache raptor.

Back