• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this an ok PC from Alienware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bryce

Is this an ok PC from Alienware for $2666?

[1] Area-51® 7500

Alienware P2 Chassis: Alienware® P2 Chassis with AlienIce™ 3.0 Video Cooling - Space Black
System Lighting: Alienware® Standard System Lighting - Astral Blue
High-Performance Liquid Cooling: Alienware® Standard System Cooling
Power Supply: Alienware® 750 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Graphics Processor: Single Graphics Processors - 320MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTS - Superclocked!
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB
Motherboard: Alienware® Approved NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Home Premium – DirectX 10 Ready!
Desktop Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control
System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 16MB Cache
Optical Drives : Single Drive Configuration - 20X Dual-Layer DVD±RW
Enthusiast Essentials: Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports
Physics Processing Unit: Ageia PhysX PCI-Express Processing Unit w/ 128MB GDDR3 - More Info
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer High Definition 7.1 Audio - More Info
Monitor: No Monitor
Keyboard: Alienware® USB Full-Size Keyboard
Mouse : Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support w/ Onsite Service
AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD – Windows Vista® Edition
Games: Crysis
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mesh Cap
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Mousepad
Alienware Extras: Alienware® Desktop Binder
Alienware Extras: Owner Identification Card
Alienware Extras: Internal Wire Management
Window Style: Graphite Window Style
Mouse Pointers: Standard Mouse Pointers
Wallpaper: Alien Cyborg (Widescreen)
Wallpaper: Predator 2 (Widescreen)
Wallpaper: Alienhead Logo (Widescreen)
Power Plan: Standard Power Plan
Automatic Updates: Automatic Updates On for Critical Updates Only
Sidebar Gadgets: Calendar
Sidebar Gadgets: CPU Meter
Time Zones: (GMT - 5.00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

The first time I build my current PC, I was terrible at it. I'm just scared I'm going to ruin some expensive parts LOL.

Also, I have no clue how to cable manage either, and I want it to look nice LOL. I'll take a look at newegg though and review some hardware.

I feel you about not messing it up. Liek said take your time. Maybe call a friend or someone you know and ask if they will help. If you do decide to go with alienware I can personally say their customer service is fantastic. Never had any problems with them.

i would also like to say its quite hard to screw up your pc. I've used electric shock bands and anti-static matts etc. I've also used nothing and abuse my hardware, and can happily say i've only ever screwed up one mobo. This was my dfi ultra-d from ages ago, and i was totally messing around with it, you'll prolly never do what i did, so i don't think you'll screw up your pc.

the bonus: You'll gain exp + cash back to spend on even more expensive parts. :santa:

Q6600
680i mobo or X38 mobo
4 x 1 crucial ballistix
dual 8800GT 512mb // dual hd3870
corsair 620HX//750TX
seagate 7200.11 500gig drives in raid 0
cooling: zalman 9700 is VERY easy to install. Otherwise, get the ultra 120-extreme for better performance.

...I'm not sure if you have SLI/Crossfire if you changed the coolers on the videocards to accelero s1?

few comments, get the newer 7200.11 drives. They are faster.

Good find on the ram!!! Those are bloody cheap. :eek:
psu, you'll need more than that. I'd suggest the corsair 620HX
videocard: Get the 8800GT 512mb or the newer 8800GTS 512mb. They are faster than the old GTS.

Everything is very straight forward. There are only one place parts can go and once you actually understand what every part is, there is almost no way to screw up. Your paying them $800 to build it for you basically. I honestly wouldn't pay someone $800 to build a computer for me lol.

It's a learning experience which will save you money in the long run for time learned now.

Yes get the new 8800GT 512MB, not the 320MB 8800GTS. The 512MB is cheaper AND faster!

I will look at the parts but if you go with whats in my sig you will be fine. Course you dont need such a ridiculous monitor. :soda:

For the mobo: If someone can recommend a good OCing 680i mobo?

Don't go with the old 965 chipset. If you want a single videocard configuration, get a 8800GTS 512mb with a P35 chipset. If you want a dual videocard configuration, you'll need to get the 680i chipset. In either case, don't get the 965 chipset as they are overpriced and old.

p35: abit ip35pro

Back