• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

20" and 22" Widescreen LCDs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PrometheuSBoxeR

Christmas time is going to be here before we know it, and I'm still in a debacle over which monitor I would like to purchase.

I was hoping to get some advice on the top 3-5 best 20" and 22" WS Monitors money can buy. 100% for gaming.

I'm hoping to stay away from cheap TN panels. Who would want a $100,000 sports car on $150 wheels anyway? Thats how I see it anyway.

Nice thread with lots of information, sadly they don't suggest any 20" or 22" which is what I need..

I was also facing the same choice some time ago. I went for a 20" S-IPS because there weren't any non TN 22" panels back then.

Don't know how the situation looks know though.

I love my 200WP, I'm a gamer so I was a bit worried about ghosting, but I've yet to see any bothersome ghosting in my fast paced games.

dan

Any have any more advice? I really don't see many options, seems like everyone just buys the 226BW

I'm looking at the HP w2207. I checked it out at CC and it looks awesome compared side by side with the Samsungs and LG models. The only problem with the 226BW is the 'panel lottery' you might end up getting some crappy panel compared with the actual Samsung panels. So if you do get a good panel you have a good monitor, but if you don't....

I dont like the 22" screens, not as sharp as picture as the 20.1" Just because you are stretching a 1680x1050 image across a larger screen.

I would reccomend finding a 2007FPW, and if not, go ahead and get the 2008FPW.

EDIT**

After doing some reading and research, I would have to second the suggestion on the HP w2207. Damn fine LCD IMO.

Last edited:
When i bought my 226BW i was fortunate enough to get the S panel but i havent seen any new ones with it. I work at CC and the new HP w series of monitors have a very nice picture. I havent done any reviews on them yet but just messing around with vista on the display PC i was very impressed.

Samsung 2232 GW for me. It is crystal clear and sharp looking. 2ms responce and 3000:1 ratio for 359.99 at CC. 324 after rebate. Its a glossy screen. You cant really compare it to any others except for the HP's. They have glossy screens too. It really does make a huge difference is seeing detail and the contrast of colors, at least I think so. This monitor is awesome and I would give it a perfect 10 if it had a HDMI connector.

I give the 2232GW my vote.

NOTE" I am not talking about the BW series. They are a little different and have matte screens. This is the GW series

I got my w2207 today, it is nice. At first glance the only thing bothering is some of the text?

For example running in 1680x1050, running Firefox maximized. I notice the File, Edit, View toolbar etc, looks a little grainy. Not so much the text as I write this, really just the toolbar is the only thing that sticks out.

Not sure if there is a easy fix for this, or what causes it etc. I'd like to get it fixed its just a little irritating.

Christmas time is going to be here before we know it, and I'm still in a debacle over which monitor I would like to purchase.

I was hoping to get some advice on the top 3-5 best 20" and 22" WS Monitors money can buy. 100% for gaming.

I'm hoping to stay away from cheap TN panels. Who would want a $100,000 sports car on $150 wheels anyway? Thats how I see it anyway.

All 22" WS monitors use TN panels. The 21" Samsung 215TW uses a PVA panel and I really
like the monitor. Samsung had a $100 rebate going on them not to long ago but I think that
has ended now.

Another one to at least take a look at is the 24" Westinghouse L2410NM. It to uses a PVA
panels and NewEgg has them for $349 after rebate which is killer for a 24" PVA. It does
have a non height adjustable stand and rather awkward user controls but at the price you
can probably get past those. It also lacks a DVI input so you would need a DVI to HDMI
converter cable.

Viper

Viper

Last edited:
Back