• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing gaming mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalicoDreams

Registered
Hi all,

I am in the market for a gaming mouse, but i have only used optical mice. I have heard a lot of stuff and read even more on the net but I would like a recommendation from people who actually use their equipment. So, my questions are as follows:

Are laser mice better than optical mice?
Are infrared mice better than laser mice?
On laser/infrared mice, do the different DPI settings effect the performance?
If so, in a negative or positive way?

If it helps, I am right handed and would prefer a corded mouse.

i've tried the MX518, the G5, the revolution, and the razr deathadder. To tell you the truth, if you don't mind not having so many extra buttons, the razr deathadder and the newer mouse have the best 'feel'.

Currently, i have the logitech G5 and it is very nice.

all the mice i've stated are corded.

i have a I think its a MX410 bad *** and i also have a G7. the G7 is not bad. i like some of both. if they would take the nice stuff from the G7 and put it on a MX410 or some MX it would pwnd noobs all day long.

Infrared are better than optical.
Laser are better than Infrared.

But when it comes down to it COMFORT is what matters since most of the good gaming mouses offer similar dpi rating and all track really well. Go out to local Walmart or Best Buy and find out how they feel in your hand. Do not take other people's word on comfort.

I've used the MX Rev (800dpi), Razor/Microsoft Habu (2000 dpi), G5(2000dpi), and I'm currently using the G9 (3200 dpi).

A few things worth mentioning

For gaming, generally speaking people prefer a higher dpi number for more responsive and accurate tracking. Basically at the same speed rating, at higher DPI you'll physically have to move the mouse less to get it to zoom across the screen. The difference though between a higher dpi settings and just cranking the speed of the mouse in the control panel setting is that with higher dpi the tracking becomes more accurate and responsive. I also prefer to turn off all acceleration for a more direct 1 to 1 tracking.

What I do when I move up to a new higher dpi mouse is, I crank the DPI setting to the max and lower the control panel speed to where I'm pretty comfortable using it. Gradually as I get used to the faster tracking, I increase the speed in the control panel. This is just my preference though.

Faster polling or reports. Gaming mouses usually have a much faster report rate through a USB 2.0 connection. With the Razors or Logitech G9, you can adjust the setting up to 1000 reports per second. Higher setting takes more system resources but i have not notice any difference cranking it to 1000.

Adjustable DPI is a really nice feature that once you get used to, you'll simply will not want to use another mouse without one.

Current gaming mouses offer between 1.6k dpi to 4k dpi now.

I've been using the Logitech G9 lately.. It's not too bad for people that use their fingertips more than the whole arm technique.
Otherwise MX518 is the best.

I'm currently using the Razer Lachesis, one of their newest products. DPI goes as high as 4000 DPI and is the highest on the market. It is a ambidextrous mouse and felt a little weird at first but I've since gotten used to it. It's a bit expensive, but I'm very pleased with the performance and features it provides.

When looking at a new mouse don't look at "the higher dpi." As that may be somewhat good, there is a distinct difference when actually played and using say... The mouse I use specifically for CSS, Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. The MS Intelli 3.0 CANNOT be beaten by any current mouse as per its 450dpi but 9k FPS tracking read(DPI means nothing if it cannot be read fast enough, prime example is Logitech G5). Namely because I snipe for teams in CSS. And it's recommended highly at LAN events. I have been using a DeathAdder myself for a while now and am hoping to get an Lachesis soon.

As said though the Razer Lachesis is currently the, "best on the market" as stated in numerous reviews. Although, don't count out the Razer Copperhead from the competition stance as it has been reviewed as better than the DeathAdder in tests done.

As far as using Logitech mice, personally, I used to be a fan of Logitech, but after being able to sit with a friend and review not only Logitech, Microsoft, and Razer mice together, it came to my attention I never want to use another Logitech again(Not only the feel, but there is another factor in Logitech's shape, giving your hand carpel tunnel vs. MS/Razer's more flattened approach). Would be fine I suppose if you play MMO/RPG games?

Microsoft Sidewinder I will not, and cannot, comment on due to not having tested it yet. But if it's anything like the Microsoft/Razer Habu, though not sided with Razer, should be a good contendor against the DeathAdder at the least like the Habu was/is.

Last edited:
If you're considering wireless, I would highly recommend the Logitech G7. I've been using one myself for almost a year, and it's been great. Having the hot-swap battery packs is great when you're gaming and the mouse goes dead.

Its G5, G7 or one of the nice razer, I use the copperhead, have used nothing but razer for probably 5 years now. But the G5 and 7 are really good right hand mouse.

Currently MS Laser Mouse 6000 for $20. Razer Copperhead, Logitech G5 & G7 all are good but for the price the offer me nothing I need.

Hi,

Just an update to tell you what mouse i chose.

I was initially going to get a G5, but after feeling around with all the mouses for a while (much to the annoyance of the sales people) i decided to go for either the copperhead or the G9. As the G9 costs heaps and then some more I was going to get the copperhead.

But then, from out of nowhere, my girlfriend goes "Do you want me to buy that for you?" pointing at the G9. Stating that it was "Geeky" and "Retro" and that she would buy if for despite the price tag, thus I got a G9.

Cheers for all your input.

p.s. I must be weird or hard wired to hate microsoft because i just didn't like any of their mice, mainly because of the scroll wheel and shape.

Back