• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I be certain my CPU is dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Über~PhLuBB

Jedi Knight Senior
I recently acquired an Athlon TBird 750 (200MHz FSB), a TBird 1200 AXIA-Y (266MHz FSB), and an IWILL KK266+ from a friend (a gift, used parts).

I just booted up after testing these using this PSU I'm on now (This CPU, plus KK266+, plus cheap vidcard plus keyboard, plus CPU).

I've tested both the 750 and the monster AXIA-Y, and neither booted. I thought it unlikely that BOTH chips were dead, but I'm not certain.

I've tried my mom's Duron (200MHz FSB), and it worked in the KK266+, whereas both Athlons didn't.

How can I know for CERTAIN that these 2 Athlons are dead? Is it possible one of the pins is bent just enough that it's not making contact (on both the chips)? The pins were pretty bad when I pulled the CPUs out of my friend's comp parts box (Stuff that he doesnt use anymore). I had to straighten almost half of them out.

Edit: I keep opening the box I keep my AXIA-Y in to look at it, again and again. Going over the stepping codes again and again. Shaking my head in disgust again and again. Such potential. Such waste. The fool who fried it should be made to SUFFER for this atrocity. Sacrelige! Blasphim! Traitor!

Last edited:
i guess they dont make this athlons like the old intels and amds and even the cyrix i remeber i had a 486 with the WORST bent pins u will ever see bent them all back to the right place and got the ****er to work perfect.. but it does seem like its fryed. u can always try them out on another mobo like buy one and then see if it works in that mobo then if it doesnt return it :D (just a thought)

Just a stab in the dark, but could it be a BIOS issue? It seems unlikely, but you can try with some of these BIOS images. The person who killed those chips should PAY.
murder.jpg

Sorry if that offended anyone.

I've tried all three chips (Athlon 750, 1200, and Duron 750) on 2 motherboards. The IWILL KK266+, and my mom's ECS K7VZM. The Duron works on both boards, whereas both the Athlons don't.

The core of the 1200 AXIA-Y seems to have it's own glow, it's brighter and has a lustre that the 750 does not have. Truely, these chips were made to look as good as they actually are.

[CRYING] Excuse me, I think I have something in my eye... [/CRYING]

Über~PhLuBB said:

How can I be certain my CPU is dead?
[CRYING] Excuse me, I think I have something in my eye... [/CRYING]
The best way to be to be certain your CPU is dead is to jump up and down on it then youll know for sure...sorry, hope that made ya laugh,i just hate to see a grown man cry...;)

I guess I'm going to have to such up and realize that it can't be recessutated, no matter how many volts (Hah!) I pump through it. (Volts. Y'know, as in core voltage/cardiovascular recessutator.)

Eh well. Seeing as how those blasted Classifieds are down because of a bunch of whining newbies and chump *** trolls, does anyone have an Athlon 1.2 - 1.4GHz AXIA-Y, AVIA-Y, or AYHJA-Y? I've got money!

Back