• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mx518 FTL *pics*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've logged about 3900 hours of fps gaming by xfire since mid 2004.

With this said you can call me a hard-core gamer, as you can see below I even have a mouse fan :p

mx518kp4.jpg

In 2004 started off using a mx510 and since the beginning of 2005 I've been using MX518's.

My 3rd mx518 started to die on me last week due to the same problem with the other (2) which is either the left or right mouse button not responding.

I went ahead and ordered my 4th mx518 from newegg about 4 days ago.

When I got home last night I had my new mx518 and 36pk of teflon mouse feet waiting for me at the door..

Installing the teflon feet took a while to apply them just right, I used a hair dryer and worked out any air bubbles by applying pressure to the teflon pads making sure they weren't going to ever come off.

After installing the feet I gave my glass ICEMAT II mousepad a good cleaning and scrubbing with windex and a fresh coat of teflon wax and OMG the mouse moved across the pad like a stick of butter in a hot frying pan...super smooth!

The old mx518's I used in the past used to be 1600dpi, but this mx518 that I just got is 1800dpi which is cool because if I move my mouse hella slow I see smoother movement, before it would move in noticeable tiny little jerks, but I'm not sure if that's was because of the 1600 to 1800 dpi increase of it was that my laser in my old mouse wasn't as good as it used to be, anyways I'm loving it.

Below is the Teflon Spray Wax I'm using...
http://www.autobarndeals.com/servlet/the-9556/Teflon-Spray-Wax-22/Detail

I got the idea to use wax on my mousepad when I read this review...
http://www.creativemods.com/reviews/review_view.php?url=xtrac_mad_wax_mouse_lubricant

Ok, so to get back on track with why I'm making this post.... I was reading about the warranty on these logitech mice and it looks like you can send them in to logitech under warranty to be replaced. If this is true, can I return all (3) broken mx518's at the same time? Also I would like to know how much it will cost for shipping to send my old mouse back and to have the new mouse sent to me.

Thanks for any input you may have.

hey just wondering, but i just got a G5, and should i game on the stock mouse feet? or should i buy some other ones and take the ones it currently has and replace them???? or should i just wear the stock ones out and then replace it????

i dont know the question to your answer.

hey just wondering, but i just got a G5, and should i game on the stock mouse feet? or should i buy some other ones and take the ones it currently has and replace them???? or should i just wear the stock ones out and then replace it????

My friend has a G5, he left his stock feet on it, but used these pads to cover them...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817114184

You will have to use (2) of these to cover the larger pieces of teflon. The teflon pads in that 36pk is much softer then then the stock pads that logitech uses. I find it smoother.

mx518 owns. I had a 510mx that my son had ripped the cord out of it lol. but had it for along time before that happened.
I've had the 518 for ehhh quiet a while basicly since it came out on newegg. The logitech logo is rubbed off i need to buy new feet for it there barely hanging on.

If this one ever dies i'll buy another i've tried other mice and i just love the feel of this one.

R.I.P

Love my MX518. Have tried the older G5 and a Razer copperhead and both were inferior to the 518. Do not know how the new G5 stands up.

You may want to look into a plain shallow-key PS2 keyboard and a mouse pad with more friction and minimal stick.
You'd be surprised to discover you're more accurate when your mose does not slide around like an air-hockey puck, and you're much more responsive when you don't have to move your fingers as much.

I have a MX400 and MX518... I don't really notice a huge difference, but the MX518 really does help with quicksniping with sensitivity turned down.

As for what surface I use... my desk, smooth, varnished, polished Black Oak, with teflon mouse skates.

AND...

Use a CRT.

Ðïëgo Ðëlgådo;5396569 said:
Ok, so to get back on track with why I'm making this post.... I was reading about the warranty on these logitech mice and it looks like you can send them in to logitech under warranty to be replaced. If this is true, can I return all (3) broken mx518's at the same time? Also I would like to know how much it will cost for shipping to send my old mouse back and to have the new mouse sent to me.

Thanks for any input you may have.
I'm quite confused at the title, thought you were going to bash my beloved mx518 ;)

You should be able to send them back, call them up. Shipping cost will be determined if you can send all at once, where you ship it and how you ship it. If they do replace them all, I'll take one off your hands :D

i use the same setup dude! ive tried alot of mice and the one i like the best is my mx518. My G15 keys are nearly completely rubbed off and some of my friends flip out cuz they cant type =P

been thinking about waxing my ice mat

but what kind of wax do you use for your ice mat
This is nice because it has teflon in it, but any wax will work...
http://www.autobarndeals.com/servlet/the-9556/Teflon-Spray-Wax-22/Detail

You may want to look into a plain shallow-key PS2 keyboard and a mouse pad with more friction and minimal stick.
You'd be surprised to discover you're more accurate when your mose does not slide around like an air-hockey puck, and you're much more responsive when you don't have to move your fingers as much.

AND...

Use a CRT.
Why a shallow key keyboard? Is it to slide fingers across keys? I like the smooth feel, helps me bounce the mouse around in my hand and get more fast snapshot twitch kills.

CRT FTW...
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=535424

I'm quite confused at the title, thought you were going to bash my beloved mx518 ;)

You should be able to send them back, call them up. Shipping cost will be determined if you can send all at once, where you ship it and how you ship it. If they do replace them all, I'll take one off your hands :D

LOL, just wanted a few people to check the thread out hence the title :p I need to have the mouse in front of me to call them before I can get info on shipping. Im at work right now they are 6am to 6pm operation. So do yo know for a fact you have to pay shipping?

heh crt always ftw. I got over 4000 hours logged also. Bout to buy a new monitor. I'm probly gonna get a new crt. Every lcd i've tried out at any friends house/store just seem like crap in fps.
that wide crt is nice heh. But i play in 800x600 always. even when my machine was brand new playing q3 and rtcw to keep my fps as solid as possible.

Last edited:
heh crt always ftw. I got over 4000 hours logged also. Bout to buy a new monitor. I'm probly gonna get a new crt. Every lcd i've tried out at any friends house/store just seem like crap in fps.

I would agree, on average, my P260 IBM is a better experience gaming, but for some reason, anything above 60hz bugs my eyes. Thus I end up being very happy with my LCD.

Yeah. But even after using both ports (VGA and DVI) I still couldnt get over how much anything past 60hz irritated me.

What about when gaming? Also do you ever force widescreen? You can add black bars to top and bottom of screen to keep the aspect ratio correct and get the wider field of view benafit like 16:9 1360x768 @ 144hz which is what I run in COD4, nothing better then 144fps with 140hz resfresh rate...

When you adjust the fov to 80 (cg_fov 80) from 65 with 16:9 you can see about 45% more the left and right then a standard 4:3 format

4:3 1280x1024 cg_fov 65
16:9 1360x768 cg_fov 65
16:9 1360x768 cg_fov 80

4:3 1280x1024 cg_fov 65
iw3mp2007121117044985kw4.jpg

16:9 1360x768 cg_fov 65
iw3mp2007121117040082qz5.jpg

16:9 1360x768 cg_fov 80
iw3mp2007121117034268of9.jpg

Back