• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QOS help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schnikies79

I'm trying to setup QOs on my router so I can game a little better and I'm confused on the uplink and downlink speeds. It's asking (dd-wrt) for speeds in kbps. I have 1.5Mbit/385k. What would these be in kbps (is 1.5Mbit just 1024+512?).

I goggled for help, but the caps such as MB, mb, Mb, etc. have me confused.

It makes me mad. I'm a freaking chemist and I can't convert these units w/o help, well I'm also used to base10 units. Blah! :bang head

Finally, about what percentage should I put in these spots? The firmware recommends 80-95%.

I'm trying to setup QOs on my router so I can game a little better and I'm confused on the uplink and downlink speeds. It's asking (dd-wrt) for speeds in kbps. I have 1.5Mbit/385k. What would these be in kbps (is 1.5Mbit just 1024+512?).

I goggled for help, but the caps such as MB, mb, Mb, etc. have me confused.

It makes me mad. I'm a freaking chemist and I can't convert these units w/o help, well I'm also used to base10 units. Blah! :bang head

Finally, about what percentage should I put in these spots? The firmware recommends 80-95%.

Its asking for bits per second. So, you have 1.5 megabits per second. Multiply that by 1024 and you have kilobits per second. It is a PITA but something easy to remember is that QoS, ISPs, etc always use MBits for IP stuff. Networking is always in bits per second.

EDIT: As for percentage it depends on what you want. That number sounds about right

Last edited:
Back