• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gmail Disaster

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eclypsyr

I did a quick search for gmail and didn't see this topic (although I vaguely remember a thread on it, maybe a different forum) so here goes.

I now fall under the group of people who have lost all of their saved emails and contacts due to some error in gmail and/or firefox. I lost several finished papers (had backups on my own computer) and a finished short story manuscript (which had changes I didn't have anywhere else), not to mention all of the contact information for a recent amazon order, which included a few xmas presents and nearly all my books for next semester.

Point being, can someone suggest a new email service for me? There's no way I can stay with gmail after this.

Edit: I see things with a google search that relate this back to last year around this time, but nothing recent. Fluke?

Wait, you store crucial data files on an online email client?

My advice: When you write your stuff, write it on your local machine, and back it up to CD if it's crucial. Don't just write it in an email to yourself. If that's not enough, look at setting up a Zoho Office account and a google docs setup. THEN save all crucial documents to both.

As for losing your emails, try using the iMap features with Gmail and thunderbird. That may let you recover your emails.

I did a quick search for gmail and didn't see this topic (although I vaguely remember a thread on it, maybe a different forum) so here goes.

I now fall under the group of people who have lost all of their saved emails and contacts due to some error in gmail and/or firefox. I lost several finished papers (had backups on my own computer) and a finished short story manuscript (which had changes I didn't have anywhere else), not to mention all of the contact information for a recent amazon order, which included a few xmas presents and nearly all my books for next semester.

Point being, can someone suggest a new email service for me? There's no way I can stay with gmail after this.

Edit: I see things with a google search that relate this back to last year around this time, but nothing recent. Fluke?

Contact google. I am sure that they will be willing to help, and they just might keep backups?

Back