• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading from a 1.6 to a 2GHz Pentium M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Well I just stole a Dell Precision M60 for $130. It came with a 1.6GHz Pentium M, 15.4 SXGA, DVD/CD-RW, wireless, fully working battery, AC-adapter, and 128MB nVidia QuadroFX 700. The only thing it was missing was RAM and a HDD. Also all the USB ports on it didn't work, so I bought a 4 port USB PCMCIA card for $10 I also picked up 2x512MB of DDR-3200 SODIMMS for $30 shipped, and a 60GB 7200RPM drive for $35. So all in all, I only put $215 into this laptop. :santa:

Now my question is, is it worth upgrading the CPU to 2GHz? I can get a 755 for $50. It only takes 400MHz FSB CPUs, so pin-modding is out of the question.

For $50 I'd say that isn't too bad. You will lose some battery life, but the 400MHz should make it a little snappier even though you probably won't notice it other than in synthetic benchmarks.

are you hitting %100 cpu usage any time? if not, i dont think you would notice much diff, but for $50......

Back