• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Business random BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cassius2117

Registered
For the past week I've been randomly getting BSOD(1 to 4 times a day) while using my computer, or while I'm away from it. I've been running the windows debugger to analyze the memory.dmp files when I can, and they've come up with a few different sources as the problem. The most common is CI.dll, unfortunately I haven't been writing down each cause so i can't remember more than that one. I looked in the Reliability Monitor, and for the times that it lists the OS stopping I can see these crash codes: (there are a lot more "Disruptive Shutdown" errors than there are OS Stopped working)

0x0000001a (2 times)
0x00000050 (2 times)
0x0000007f
0x000000be
0x00000002

One big thing about the BSOD, is that after they happen every time I boot up windows it will crash again before the login screen. The only way to get it work is to switch off my power supply and drain power, then it will boot up fine.

So far I've tried:
un/reinstall video driver(different versions even)
reinstall DX
un/reinstall sound driver
uninstall all software that was recently installed before issue.
Ran memtest+ and windows memory test with no failures.
ran virus scan
Updated BIOS

I have just installed a new video card(8800GTS 512) and I would say that did it, but the first blue screen came before I installed it. It did get really bad a few days after putting in the new card, but the past few days I thought I had fixed my system only to have it crash 1 time about every 1.5 days. Any ideas on what could be going on here? My usage is pretty heavy, playing games like Crysis and DOD, so the system is being stressed a lot, but it has only ever crashed once while I was playing a game.

UPDATE: I just got another BSOD, that makes 2 within the hour. This time I didn't need to switch of the PSU to boot back to windows. Error was 0x000000d1, and offending file was listed as ataport.sys. I just now tried re-seating my memory sticks. See if that does anything.

Last edited:
What HDD(s) do you have installed, and how are they connected to the board? Are they connected via the Intel ICH9R SATA controller, or the JMicron SATA / PATA ports?

What HDD(s) do you have installed, and how are they connected to the board? Are they connected via the Intel ICH9R SATA controller, or the JMicron SATA / PATA ports?

My windows partition is on a WD connected through SATA, and I have a Maxtor connected through IDE which is used for backup. The IDE is using the JMicron controller.

Download and run HD Tune 2.54...

http://www.hdtune.com/

... select the "Error Scan" tab, put a check mark in the "Quick Scan" checkbox, and perform a diagnostic scan on each of your two HDD's. Also if you haven't already, download and install the latest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (even though Vista has native support for the ICH9R, these are a newer driverset v7.8.0.1012)...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...ndows+Vista*+32&lang=eng&strOSs=164&submit=Go!

If the Quick Scan passes in HD Tune, you may still want to perform a thorough scan on each drive. You can use HD Tune, the built-in chkdsk utility (from the command prompt within the GUI), or the diagnostic utilities provided by the HDD manufacturers.

Thanks for the feedback redduc900. I'm going to install HD Tune now, and the driver. I haven't had a crash since I reseated my memory, but it's only been a day and a half.

EDIT: HD Tune passed for both drives. I'm gonna wait and see what happens if it crashes again I'll try the newer drivers.

Last edited:
I'm pointing at your CPU OC. Does it pass Prime95?

You can get at least similar symptoms with the multi too high or not enough Vcore.

It's been a few days now without a crash. What I did last was to reseat my memory sticks. Could have been an issue with a bad connection between memory and the socket. Anyone else having similar BSOD should try this to see if it fixes it for them.

I've been having random BSOD's too with home premium. I attributed it to my motherboard being picky with 4 x 1gb sticks of ram. It only happens when I turn my computer on after its been sitting for a while, when I reset it boots fine and doesn't happen again.

I've been having random BSOD's too with home premium. I attributed it to my motherboard being picky with 4 x 1gb sticks of ram. It only happens when I turn my computer on after its been sitting for a while, when I reset it boots fine and doesn't happen again.

Topcat, over at badcaps.net says that it can be a symptom of bad caps (in early stages) then gets worse until it's unusable.

Topcat, over at badcaps.net says that it can be a symptom of bad caps (in early stages) then gets worse until it's unusable.

I hope thats not the case with my pc. It only started doing it after I upgraded to Vista and 4gb of ram. I will have to thouroughly memtest my new ram and see what I get.

Back