• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

? to O/C or mod OCZ PC6400 Gold to PC8000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n9nu

I just purchases 4GB (2 sticks) of OCZ PC6400 800MHz Gold Revision 2 memory and was wondering if that can be "upgraded so to speak" to PC8000 (1000MHz) or something similar?

System Specs are:

• ASUS LN164-SLI WS Motherboard - 0505 BIOS R
  • Two AMD FX-74 CPU'S - Both Liquid Cooled
  • Two XFX 8800GTX GPU's in SLI - Both Liquid Cooled
  • PC Power and Cooling 1KW PSU
  • OS is Vista 64 Bit w/ all Patches & Hot Fixes

It seems (contradictory) to the ASUS manual, you must put the DIMM's (2 GB each) in slots A1 and B1 (bank 0) in order to obtain Dual Channel Mode. The ASUS manual says "For dual channel memory configuration, the DDR2 DIMMs can be installed in DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 either in one CPU mode or two CPU mode". I found this to be incorrect as it gave me Single channel mode when booting.

My BIOS reports the following settings: 800MHz-6.0-6-6-18-2T, despite the sticker on the RAM saying: 5-5-5-18 (Those parameters I know about), but there are settings for the following as well (I didn't change the default settings shown below yet):

* TRRD (Auto)
* TRC (Auto)
* Blank Interleaving (Auto)
* Node Interleaving (Disabled)
* DQS Signal Training Control (Enabled)
* MemClk Tristate C3/ALTVID (Disabled)
* CS Sparing Enable (Disabled)
* Memory Hole Remapping (Enabled)
* Power Down Control (Disabled)

Do I need or can I change the above settings to maximize performance?

My CPU's are overclocked a tad from 3.0 each to 3.2 each. I did not adjust anything memory related yet. All settings are set to AUTO or Disabled as above. The OCZ memory can be clocked up to 2.8VDC w/o violating the warranty, and currently they are set at 1.8VDC.

Below are some pictures / screenshots. The values in the CPU-ID report seem goofy to me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

Back