• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debating a small upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penguin463

Right now i am trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to do a small upgrade

I am looking on e-bay and on the classies trying to find a second 7900gto. I am just wondering if it is worth it.

I only have a 17" monitor that runs at 1280x1024, and I will also be running a second display. It is a 15" HD TV that runs at 480 i or p, i forget.

Anyways, you guys thing its worth 100-150 bucks for a second card?

*edit* also, I am no longer using the 3700+ like it says in my sig. I put in a new 3800+ X2 to try and breath some more life into this rig.

Sounds like you are like me in a way. I don't want to do a full upgrade on my system and i feel there is life left in it so I am upgrading to an 8800GT. But I think depending on what you are wanting to do with the two video cards it may be worth it.

So an 8800GT > 2x7900GTO's ??

hmm...

I also have a laptop with a go8400 in it or something of the like. So if some game comes out that is only DX10, I am still covered.

I just thought that getting a second 7900GTO would be a smarter upgrade than just getting a new video card, because a 7900gto is still a GOOD card =D

the GTO is a great card.

when you go SLi, you can only run one monitor at a time.

if you don't plan on moving to vista and DX10 in the next year and a half - i would say go for the second GTO. it will give you a nice bump in FPS (if thats what your looking for).

one 8800GT>7900GTO SLi -

In SLi the 7900's should give you <10K in 3dmark o6, so it can put up good numbers. what do you do on your computer? game?

Do your self a favour and upgrade the LCD. You won't notice much in the way of FPS on 17" beyond your current card. Get a bigger LCD with lower response time and then upgrade your vid card(s).

the GTO is a great card.

when you go SLi, you can only run one monitor at a time.

if you don't plan on moving to vista and DX10 in the next year and a half - i would say go for the second GTO. it will give you a nice bump in FPS (if thats what your looking for).

one 8800GT>7900GTO SLi -

In SLi the 7900's should give you <10K in 3dmark o6, so it can put up good numbers. what do you do on your computer? game?

Yeah, I mostly use it for gaming. I just got Bioshock, and I have had orange box for awhile. If an 8800GT does preform better than 2x 7900gto's, then i think I will wait for a video card upgrade =P

As for vista and DX10, I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with an 8400 and Vista ^^

Do your self a favour and upgrade the LCD. You won't notice much in the way of FPS on 17" beyond your current card. Get a bigger LCD with lower response time and then upgrade your vid card(s).

I think that is exactly what I will do. A 22" monitor sound good?

Back