• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 sticks of RAM no good for E2160/DS3L system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alacritan

I just picked up a third stick of RAM because it's cheap and I'm still running XP 32-bit so 4GB is worthless. When I put the third stick in (identical to the first two sticks), the system won't run properly. It doesn't detect more than 2GB at POST and can't get to Windows. They're all 1GB dualsided Patriot sticks using Elpida modules. The system is the one in my sig. E2160 running on a GA-P31-DS3L. Is this normal? Can I seriously not use three sticks? Am I forced to go 1GB-2GB-4GB? I noticed in the mobo manual that to run in dual channel, I'd have to have single sided modules when using more than two sticks, but I don't mind if it runs in single channel. Am I doing something wrong or missing something here or is this not possible with this chipset?

I just picked up a third stick of RAM because it's cheap and I'm still running XP 32-bit so 4GB is worthless. When I put the third stick in (identical to the first two sticks), the system won't run properly. It doesn't detect more than 2GB at POST and can't get to Windows. They're all 1GB dualsided Patriot sticks using Elpida modules. The system is the one in my sig. E2160 running on a GA-P31-DS3L. Is this normal? Can I seriously not use three sticks? Am I forced to go 1GB-2GB-4GB? I noticed in the mobo manual that to run in dual channel, I'd have to have single sided modules when using more than two sticks, but I don't mind if it runs in single channel. Am I doing something wrong or missing something here or is this not possible with this chipset?

Al,

I have found this to be true, odd number of sticks in dual channel slots just doesn't do it. Pairs only, and matched if you have 'em and either 2 or all 4 slots.

Back