• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need an HTPC Case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

satandole666

I got my AverMedia Combo PCI-E tuner card along with a 2600XT for xmas. I already have a motherboard (P5B-E) that I'll probably slap a cheap dual core in along with 2 gigs of DDR2.

What I need now is a case. I read through the sticky and, to be honest, it wasn't a lot of help. Half of the links are dead now and I'm sure the pricing is out of date on some/most of them as well.

So...

Recommend an HTPC case for me!

I'd like something black, preferably aluminum, and relatively cheap (sub $100 would be awesome). I don't need LCD screens or any of the fancy stuff. I just want something that looks good, is quiet (120mm fans are a plus) and has enough room for at least 2 hard drives.

A name, the price, and a link would be great. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just for a little more guidance here is a case I am looking at as of now. No 120mm fans though :/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163033

Last edited:
I have an earlier version of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163065
My hard drive cage is one piece which mounts the hard drives vertically. It looks like this one mounts them horizontally. Mine also has provisions for two 80/92mm fans in front of the hard drives. I recommend a quiet PSU (I used a Silverstone with a 120mm fan) and below 2000rpm fans.
I used this for a CPU cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118113
with a 3800 X2 (939).
The thing is death quiet.

I didn't specifically specify. I need an ATX capable case. All of the options present above look pretty good though. I need to iron down how big of a PSU I need to run this setup. I was planning on getting the 520HX (have the 620HX in my main) but I might be able to spare a dollar or two going with a cheaper unit.

Keep em coming, I'm starting to see they all look alike after a certain point.

Silverstone LC-17 is my favorite, although I haven't looked since I purchased mine. It isn't all aluminum though, just the front.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163055

I remember looking at the LC-10 you linked, but i didn't like the exposed front USB ports and the small fans (60mm rears, 80mm front). The LC-17 has two 80mm rears and room for two 92mm (I got two 100mms to fit) front fans and an 80mm side fan.

What are you going to use as a front end? I am using SageTV and am going to get an extender, I don't know if such things exist for MCE, BeyondTV, etc. I think it will be a much better solution than having a PC in the entertainment center, I will just have the media extender box and I can have the PC in a closet where I don't have to worry about looks and noise. Plus I'll be able to have a nice big case so it will run cooler and I can fit more hard drives. The extender is supposed to have better picture quality as well.

I use a Cooler Master CAV-T04 for one of mine. It comes with a 300W PSU which isn't standard ATX, so upgrading it may be an issue. Cooler Master may make replacements, but I found it works surprisingly well with my HTPC (HD2600PRO, E6300, 2GB DDR2, 36GB Raptor, 200GB HDD, and LG BD/HD drive).

They only run about $75 and come in black and silver. It's a pretty nice case for the price. Full ATX as well.

I use a Cooler Master CAV-T04 for one of mine. It comes with a 300W PSU which isn't standard ATX, so upgrading it may be an issue. Cooler Master may make replacements, but I found it works surprisingly well with my HTPC (HD2600PRO, E6300, 2GB DDR2, 36GB Raptor, 200GB HDD, and LG BD/HD drive).

They only run about $75 and come in black and silver. It's a pretty nice case for the price. Full ATX as well.

I've looked that case up in a few places. It is sold out everyone and labeled as discontinued.

That is the exact same setup I want for my HTPC. Only small differences are no raptor and I'm sure you have a tuner card. Is all of that really powered on a 300-350W PSU? If so that would amaze me.

300W. I was surprised too. I was going to move it to my bedroom HTPC since it's a little slimmer on the hardware side, but since it was all in the case, I gave it a go just for the hell of it. It's been running, pretty much 24x7, for about 2-3 months now without a single issue.

I have a tuner, but it's an HDHomeRun, which is an external network tuner, so no additional overhead there.

It was discontinued when I got mine, and I got a good deal on it since about everywhere that was still carrying it had it in the clearance section. It's an excellent case if you're able to hunt one down. I don't normally care much for the hidden-bay bezel doors, but the T04 has a very smooth hinge and doesn't seem cheap like the Mozart I have.

Back