• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 8800 GT and h.264 decoding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I just got an 8800 GT recently, and oen of the reasons I purchased it was because my crappy dual P4 can't handle 1080p h.264 videos, and I have many I'd like to watch. I popped the card in installed the drivers, and opened up media player classic with CCCP. I tried VLAN too, but it wasn't working either. Does anyone out there know what I need to do to get this workign? This is all new to me so I have no idea what I'm doing, so please be nice :) :soda:

Thanks.

The newest versions of PowerDVD will detect and support purevideo2.
I couldn't play the Resident Evil 5 1080 trailer until I used PowerDVD to enable the h264 support.

well that sucks :( what about quicktime trailers, .mp4, and .mkv files? Or at least the ones that contain h.264 video. Is there no way to use the card for decoding these? AFAIK powerdvd can't open .mkv container files, or qucktime movies. I dont' know if it'll work with mp4 files though.

well I can play band of brothers in HD (.mkv) flawlessly in zoomplayer, but in mediacenter or mediaplayer it is hanging constantly(after a few minutes a slight hang in video)

but doesn't zoomplayer work just like media player classic, in that it uses the same decoders? o_O This is very interesting either way, I've never used zoomplayer before, so It may just work. I'll give it a shot.

i use vlc player to play mkv movies/files on all my computers, except the HTPC which is using coreavc codec with media portal

i use vlc player to play mkv movies/files on all my computers, except the HTPC which is using coreavc codec with media portal

VLC doesnt' use GPU for decoding from what I've seen, plus I can never get VLC to work -_- the stupid thing just won't work for me, and I've given up on it. Everyone always talks about how awesome it is, but it fails everytime for me.

VLC doesnt' use GPU for decoding from what I've seen, plus I can never get VLC to work -_- the stupid thing just won't work for me, and I've given up on it. Everyone always talks about how awesome it is, but it fails everytime for me.
then you have bigger issues here...if VLC fails for you, there is definitely something wrong with your windows install

explain 'fails'

vlc owns, and in the advanced video preferences there's some output settings that will use your video card .. can choose opengl , directx, and a few others

then you have bigger issues here...if VLC fails for you, there is definitely something wrong with your windows install

explain 'fails'

I'm sorry, but you're wrong on that one, there is nothing wrong with my windows install. I know this because it doesn't work on ANY install I've ever used it with. I'm not so stupid as to only have tried it on one install and say it never works.

I forgot to explain how it fails. Well I'll start with my biggest issue. When I play video....pretty much any video, there is a big black screen (the size of the video) with no picture, but sound. Somtimes it's there, but usually it isn't (depends on the video file). That's all I can recall rigth now, but that's good enough reason to not bother using it when cccp and media player classic actually do work for me (for most things anyway)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to use VLC, but it just doesn't like me.

Last edited:
vlc owns, and in the advanced video preferences there's some output settings that will use your video card .. can choose opengl , directx, and a few others

I don't think purvideo works that way. I dont' know a lot about video decoding, but I'm pretty sure opengl and directx are only for realtime 3d rendering. I could be wrong though :-/

And I guess I should add this; to all you who want to tell me how awesome VLC is, and why I'm an idiot for not using it (hasn't been said yet, but it could) I really don't want to hear it. I never said it sucks, I just said VLC and I don't get a long (not in those words exactly of course) so if you feel like informing me of how awesome vlc is because you think I'm bashing it, just save it, as telling me is a complete waste of time. VLC for windows has never worked properly for me, and so I don't use it, it's as simple as that.

Last edited:
I don't think any of the independent players (mplayer classic, zoomplayer, vlc) have implemented the purevideo decoder. I couldn't get h264 offload to work in anything but Powerdvd :(

AHHH!!! this wangs chung! :-/ What about CoreAVC? Does anyone know when they are going to implement h264 offloading? I just bought the professional version recently, and holy crap it kicks the crap out of libac, or w/e it's called that comes with CCCP. But still, it chops sometimes and it's annoying :(

Back