• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WRT54GS issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crana

Gahhh, why can't I have a stable router! I just got this after I returned my D-Link one (turns out it was faulty) and now for some reason it's always restarting itself or disconnecting all clients... this happens like 10 times in a minute then if I'm lucky it'll be stable for another couple hours, but it's just happened again right now :(

I've just changed to channel 13, so we'll see if that helps :bang head

1 wired, 3 wireless - most of the time just 2 wireless (Wii + Laptop)

Bittorrent, IRC, MSN etc

Yup, latest firmware.

Would the modified firmware not void the 3-year warranty?

Also, nearly 18 hours now without a disconnection :)

Im not sure on that but I use the modified firmware and i feel the gains are worth the risk. Its up to you but its much more stable.

Well, 28 hours since the last time it went all screwy, so I guess changing the channel and disabling all of the QoS stuff fixed it :)

Grr, it's happening again.

This is ridiculous, I'm returning this piece of crap.

It's a risk I can't afford to take. Replacing the firmware will probably void the warranty and then I can't get a refund for this faulty thing.

It's most annoying that it disconnects randomly, so eBuyer might not even find a problem if they don't test it long enough... :(

That is a solid router though. I am positive it would be solved by DD-WRT but its up to you.

Okay, I just finished installing DD-WRT and it was a lot easier then I thought it would be :) I love all the stats and stuff, which leads me to my concern. The connection count is at 95% alone when I'm the only person connected to it (well, my Wii is too, but that can't be using more than 2% max), but there's a maximum of 5 clients that could be using the router (1 wired, 4 wireless) so what happens once it hits 100%? CPU usage doesn't go over 30% and everything else looks ok to me.

Okay, I just finished installing DD-WRT and it was a lot easier then I thought it would be :) I love all the stats and stuff, which leads me to my concern. The connection count is at 95% alone when I'm the only person connected to it (well, my Wii is too, but that can't be using more than 2% max), but there's a maximum of 5 clients that could be using the router (1 wired, 4 wireless) so what happens once it hits 100%? CPU usage doesn't go over 30% and everything else looks ok to me.

I'm thinking that your connection slows down.

That is a solid router though. I am positive it would be solved by DD-WRT but its up to you.

Good man, you were correct :) Over 8 days of pure stability now. I should of listened to you earlier :bang head

Note for anyone who has the same problem: I used this guide to flash my router (v7). It's all straight-forward, apart from step 9 which may confuse some people. What you need to do is type the file path, so I did: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put C:\dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin

:)

im having the exact same problem with the exact same router, so i'm about to try this as well and see if it works for me.

well, after a bout of stupidity, a bricked router, and a panicked unbricking process, i finally got the firmware installed. i hope it works as well for me as it did for you.

I am feeling the DD-WRT love as well. I recently purchased a WRT54GL and flashed with DD-WRT and love the control, statistics, and WPA2 that is available with this router.

As others have stated:

Router with dd-wrt + WPA 2/mixed + mac filtering + no broadcast of SSID = piece of mind.
Not that this is absolute protection for a home network, but more than enough for my needs.

while i do enjoy this firmware better than the official one, it didn't solve my disconnecting problem. any other possible solutions?

over the last few weeks i've been through channels 1, 11, 13, and some other one that i forgot, and all with the same results. i guess i'll keep trying though.

Back