Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

How powerful of a machine for content filtering?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-26-07, 10:22 AM Thread Starter   #1
wa77ss

How powerful of a machine for content filtering?

Need to put together a content filtering machine, which will filter internet traffic for about 85 machines. Already purchased the software, just curious as to how this task will affect machine usage. P4 2.8N with 1GB of RAM good enough?

LMK, Thanks

Heatware
wa77ss is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-26-07, 04:20 PM   #2
ErikD

What is the software? Most of the ones I have looked at give an idea of hardware needed for number of users.
ErikD is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-26-07, 04:44 PM   #3
Ben333
Folding for Team 32!

I'd trust anything better than a 733 coppermine with 512 MB of RAM. I think what you have is more than enough for a good content blocking rig.
Ben333 is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-27-07, 10:31 AM   #4
gangaskan

10 Year Badge

our sonicwall at work does our content filtering on a 2.4 ghz p4 prescott.

we have about 500 users hitting the net at random times.

Main Rig: [Silverstone TJ06 painted hammer black] [Intel E6550 3.2 ghz 1.35v ] [4 gigs Gskil] [Asus P5k Premium Wifi/ap] [Soundblaster Audiguy ZS platinum] [ATI 3560 pro] [enhiem 1250 pump, Swiftech Storm, primoflex tubing, mcres micro, maze 4 gpu block][ Windows Vista x64 Ultimate sp1]
HTPC: [LianLI V300B] [Opty 165 1.88 ghz] [Thermalright XP90] [2 gb OCZ Platinum DDR400] [Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music] [8600GT Stock] [Windows Vista Home Premium sp1]
Server: [Rocketfish Tower] [c2d E6600][Scythe Ninja Jr] [4 gigs Gskil ddr2 800][ATI X850XT ] [Windows Vista B]
Network: Cisco 851W uptime: forever
Heatware
gangaskan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-28-07, 06:27 PM   #5
dark_15
Drunken Master JNCIE Senior

What is the web filtering application?

If it is Websense or SurfControl, and you are using the logging and filtering features, then I would recommend no less than 2GB of memory. More than likely it will be using MSSQL for the database, so make sure the Max memory usage is no greater than 1GB (you can use the SQL2005 Express Manageer to set this). If you do not set this then SQL will consume more and more memory until it is maxed out. This will cause severe performance problems with the filtering.

JNCIE-SEC #69, JNCIP-ENT, JNCSP-SEC, JNCIS-SA, JNCIS-AC, JNCIA-IDP, JNCIA-WX, ACMP, RCSP-WAN

HEAT Register Personal Blog
dark_15 is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-31-07, 02:47 PM Thread Starter   #6
wa77ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_15 View Post
What is the web filtering application?

If it is Websense or SurfControl, and you are using the logging and filtering features, then I would recommend no less than 2GB of memory. More than likely it will be using MSSQL for the database, so make sure the Max memory usage is no greater than 1GB (you can use the SQL2005 Express Manageer to set this). If you do not set this then SQL will consume more and more memory until it is maxed out. This will cause severe performance problems with the filtering.
Guys thanks so much for the response. The software is Websense. So I will definitely do what you recommended. Thanks!

Heatware
wa77ss is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-01-08, 06:51 PM   #7
dark_15
Drunken Master JNCIE Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa77ss View Post
Guys thanks so much for the response. The software is Websense. So I will definitely do what you recommended. Thanks!
No problem.

By the way, how are you identifying users? If it is through AD, make sure you used AD Native Mode for identification. I had nothing but nightmares trying to use NT/Mixed Mode... and for your sanity's sake use Native Mode. Lastly, for the group enumeration to work properly within AD, make sure you set the security groups to be Universal groups (not enterprise or domain); distribution groups won't work at all.

JNCIE-SEC #69, JNCIP-ENT, JNCSP-SEC, JNCIS-SA, JNCIS-AC, JNCIA-IDP, JNCIA-WX, ACMP, RCSP-WAN

HEAT Register Personal Blog
dark_15 is offline Author Profile   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.