• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karlthomas102

im so tempted to buy one XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra 650Mhz 768MB but i alredy have a xfx 8800gts xxx 640mb edition if i sold this card i would be able to get a Ultra but i alredy have the cash for another gts what would be better 2 gts's or one Ultra
thanks karl
edit also i do over clock running stable @
Core clock 600mhz
Shader clock 1500mhz
memory clock 950mhz
thats what river tuner seas :)

Last edited:
Eek. Can you hold off till mid-February? Ultra is pretty much a lame duck right now, and unless you get one for about $150-$175, the GTS-640 is too. At least get an EVGA card so you can trade up to the next best thing when it comes out. Selling a GTS-640 to buy an Ultra right now would sorta be flushing money down the toilet.

Better plan, sell the 640, buy a G92 GTS-512 from EVGA, and save the rest of the money to see what comes out in February, then either step-up the card you have to the Ultra-beating card that's coming out, or just get another GTS-512 to run SLI, which will also spank an Ultra easily - for the same money even.

What resolution do you game at? Unless you are running resolutions over 1920x1200 and using antialiasing, then I would suggest you get the new 8800GTS 512. It has about the same performance as the 8800GTX, but can overclock far beyond what the GTX and Ultras are capable of (750-800+ on the core, 1900-2000 shader and 1000-1100 memory)

i dont rely want to go to a 512 gts im in the uk and i can pick up the xfx gts 640mb for £240 which is pritty cheep considoring the spek iv wanted a sli rig for 2 years now and i have just got the rest of the cash needed to buy another 640mb gts i know that nvidia is relesing the 9 series

i dont rely want to go to a 512 gts im in the uk and i can pick up the xfx gts 640mb for £240 which is pritty cheep considoring the spek iv wanted a sli rig for 2 years now and i have just got the rest of the cash needed to buy another 640mb gts i know that nvidia is relesing the 9 series

£240 are you serious?! That's over 500 bucks! How much could you sell the 640 you already have for?? And how much would be you be paying for an Ultra?

the Ultra is £320 the EVGA gts is stll £200 evry thing in england is stupidly over priced
i still could sell the oldcard on ebay for around £190

Last edited:
i have a 19" wide screen i run at 1440x900 and i do use antialiasing when i gameing i have to have the highest grafics posoble before it slows down

Why would you upgrade an 8800GTS 640MB to an 8800GT 512MB? It seems crazy unless you were to mod the latter for high end custom air or water and really push your OC. You would be better buying Extreme Edition CPUs and Geforce Ultras once a generation than next tier parts every single time they are refreshed.

If it were me, at those prices and the resolution you are running, I would wait until the next series comes along (or at least until it's unbearable). It's a different story if you are benchmarking or you got an ichy trigger finger, then go with the 8800gts 512 since these cards can be pushed far and probably past the ultra. SLI with the 640mb doesn't look to be worth the money for where you are.

thing is the 512 is only £20 less i might aswell just keep the card i have now its still overclocked passed a gtx
i just want crysis on max grafics lol its on max apart from shadowers and texture

i owned the 8800gts, and after upgrading to an 8800gt a month later.
100.00 less.
2 day it came out.
my scores in 3dmark jumped from 13ish to 16k.

i know you want the ultra,
however even the 8800gt 512 (at a great price) can perform alot better than the old 8800gts 640mb.

As far as 19" goes, and graphics on the highest settings(crysis on ultra high, or no crysis, haha), my 8800gt does amazingly fine at the highest resolutions, and the bfg version i got clocks insanely well. I have a Q6600 @ 3.6 and the 8800gt with vista ultimate... and i have a 3dmark06 score of 16,000.

my curront 3d mark is 6836 is that right
also i want a 22" wide screen soon for my birthday (febuary)

Erm, I'd get a new motherboard/processor/memory first. That'll make more improvement than a new video card, in that system.

edit: It's a 3 year old processor. Cut the cord.

lol read my sig its the best i can buy
My rig
amd 3400+ oc to 3.48ghz stable
4gb of OCZ pc2-3200 sli redy ram
XFX 8800gts xxx 640mb edition
asus crosshair mobo
620w Enermax Liberty psu
TV tuner
vista ulitmate 64bit

but eny way 11k in 3dmark today after having the same problem as this person now i have fixed that and flashed the bios (to keep my HT link @ 1000 insted of 200) the pc is running sweet i donno if i can wight till feb for the 9 series card
think ill get another 8800gts:)

Eek. Can you hold off till mid-February? Ultra is pretty much a lame duck right now, and unless you get one for about $150-$175, the GTS-640 is too. At least get an EVGA card so you can trade up to the next best thing when it comes out. Selling a GTS-640 to buy an Ultra right now would sorta be flushing money down the toilet.

Better plan, sell the 640, buy a G92 GTS-512 from EVGA, and save the rest of the money to see what comes out in February, then either step-up the card you have to the Ultra-beating card that's coming out, or just get another GTS-512 to run SLI, which will also spank an Ultra easily - for the same money even.

An Ultra is hardly a lame duck and you wouldn't be able to touch even a used one for
under $500. The Ultra is still the fastest card on the planet and the only game in town
for the super high resolution crowd.

Viper

He wants a 22" monitor, so I'd guess he's playing below 1680x1050 even.. For the cost of another 640, he could go dual core, and get some modern memory etc.. That's what I'd suggest going for first.

well imjustmighting for the card its in the post now ill post back with some 3dmark scors
oh and would 2 8800gts's handle a 30" lcd? i like to nick my mum tv ;)

Back