• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card...Need Some Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vetona

Registered
I've got about 140$ to spend on a video card for my new setup. I'm just looking for some recomendations. I'm thinking maybe the 8600GT but i'm not sure yet. Or I could get 2 SLi Enabled 8500's. Just throw me a bone. I'm looking for a card that can run Doom 3, FEAR, World of Warcraft, TES4: Oblivion, Quake 4, and most other main-stream games. So, any suggestions?

the one deal is dead...Obviously u said "When another comes along"or w/e. Pricegrabber's cheapest is like 170 for that ATI HD 3850 card. SO yeah, any other ideas?

its really best to wait you will get like at least 1.5x the performance of any cheaper card if you can get a 3850 for that price

I've got about 140$ to spend on a video card for my new setup. I'm just looking for some recomendations. I'm thinking maybe the 8600GT but i'm not sure yet. Or I could get 2 SLi Enabled 8500's. Just throw me a bone. I'm looking for a card that can run Doom 3, FEAR, World of Warcraft, TES4: Oblivion, Quake 4, and most other main-stream games. So, any suggestions?

Well looking at the video card comparison at tomshardware.com it looks like Oblivion at 1024x768 on the 8600GT 256MB does 21FPS vs the 8500GT 512MB which does 8.5FPS. So if you had a perfect no loss SLI setup than you would still only get 17FPS from the SLI 8500's. This seems to be due to the 8600GT's having GDDR3 vs GDDR2 memory.

Personally I don't like either of them since they use a 128-bit memory interface. Where did all the 256-bit cards go? On newegg all I see is a jump from 128 to 320, and the 320's are out of your price range :( .

Thanks guys. I decided on an ATI x1950 Pro. 256...It is lookin like it will do the job. Its coming on Monday. :D

Back