• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung sYncmaster 206BW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simba1621

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001095

Hi all!
The link above is the Samsung Syncmaster 206BW. I got a substantial gift card for christmas from my parents and have been looking at an lcd monitor for a while now. The question is, will i be able to play cod4 with this monitor. I like the 2ms response times. But I'm honestly not sure if it can keep up with me... I compete in cod4.

I've read some reviews where some have disliked the low refresh rate of 60hz. Which kind of confuses me. I played cal main and tgl in bf2. My preferred resolution in that game was 800x600 at 60hz. Does the refresh rate have a lot more to do with your screen performance on an lcd monitor? I've never had a problem on my Dell Trinitron 17in crt. But that was using a 7300gt (fps was is a huge concern.) But with the 8800gt frames per second arent even close to being an issue and I'm really starting to digg these high rez's.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. you're the last opinion i ask for... seeing as it usually has major impact on my purchases.

You played at 800x600!? :O I agree with 4od though, 2ms is pretty good. The 2ms rating however is only gray to gray, with an actual of about 5-6ms black to white. However, 5-6ms black to white is still very impressive. I almost got the 206BW myself, but opted for the cheaper Chimei 22" (5ms gray to gray) instead because ghosting doesn't really bother me (my current screen has like a 13ms response time). But I've heard nothing but good things for Samsung monitors, I'd say go for it if you have the money :)

umm i would do your research very carefully
it seems after sending many of these panesl out to be reviewed samsung changes the panel they were using
you can see on the back of your panel an A (new slower panels) or S for samsung
even when confronted by the sites with both panels in hand and testing proving the difference in performance samsung flat out denied this

i have one of the A revision panels and for any FPS its awful, blur city (but then again, im more likely than most of my friends to notice blurring)
i would avoid unless youve tried it out yourself. i wish i had never bought this one but it does make a fine 2nd screen

I have heard of the troubles between S and A type panels, but I had also heard that it was fairly easy to clean up with some manual tuning.

lol ya i play at 800x600. easier for my graphics card to keep up. Also, the head is a little bit bigger at 800x600. but ya i just picked up the 206bw. you guys talking about the panel issue. i was under the impression that only the 226bw had this issue. my screen looks phenomenal

so quick question. hopefully it gets seen by you guys. don't want to start a new thread.

i'm running an 8800gt. it has 2 dvi connections coming out of the back. i read in a different thread that a monitor did better in gaming using the vga cable instead of the dvi.

i'd like to try this on my 206bw. this beast has an auto switch feature that allows me to connect a dvi and a vga cable in and switch back and forth with a push of a button. will it hurt my card to be running a vga and a dvi connection to the same monitor? will it hurt the monitor?

just throwin it out there. thanks guys

i have the this lcd panel and i love it no dead pixels so far en with games it performs well i do most games in 1400*900 and no delay it al i woud say by this thing

yea i can notice a difference from my old monitor. muzzle flash creates a little rainbow effect just in the center of the screen near the reticle. but i'm gonna try to adjust the red down to see if it helps.

thanks for all of your help guys. i really do appreciate it

samsung turned my world upside down, got a 226CW and wow this is about the closest you could get to CRT on a TN LCD panel(my opinion)

cant go wrong with Samsung that's true(unless you are getting a 226BW, then you could)

waiting for them to bring out their OLED monitors :D

I don't think it would "hurt" your card to use both connectors, but I'm not sure if the 8800GT will know to turn the other off when you use one of the connectors. Like if you're using VGA during gaming, it might not know to turn the DVI off. That could mean you're making your video card do twice the work, meaning lower framerates. I'm not too sure about this as I've never used two different cables or even dual monitors before, so I definitely would double check with somebody else. I'm sure we wouldn't mind if you posted another thread :)

PS: Glad you're happy with the monitor! :beer:

I'm sure we wouldn't mind if you posted another thread :)

wouldnt want to upset the mods :). anyways i'm gonna try it right now. i'm gonna disconnect the dvi when i plug the vga in. we'll see. i noticed some ghosting earlier today. just in really bright situations though.:eh?:

Back