• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps2cho's Asus Eee PC (4G 701) Review!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hi guys!

Thought I'd give everybody a nice review on this awesome new UMPC!
Firstly some well deserved pictures with comparisons:

Pictures
eee_1.jpg

eee_2.jpg

eee_3.jpg

eee_5.jpg

eee_6.jpg

eee_7.jpg

eee_8.jpg

Initial Impressions
This would be my first small laptop, so to me, it seemed alot smaller in person! This is not a bad thing though! It just came as a surprise. Keys are pretty small and difficult to use at first. I am slowly getting more comfortable.

Stock OS:
The original linux operating system was fine, but seeing as I'm an overclocker and like to tweak alot, I felt that windows was a better choice especially as the default OS took 80% of the 4GB HDD's space.

Build Quality
The unit feels very solid and the screen hinges seem to be strong and will last a while. Unlike my dell laptop, it seems to have a solid beam that goes through it...so I believe the hinges for the screen should be good for some time, probably longer than my dell ones. There is a little bend towards the middle above the touch pad, but nothing major. The keys are about as quiet as any laptop keyboard, but the main mouse clicker is pretty loud.

Components
Comes with a 900MHz Celeron M (ultra low voltage 343) Processor(clocked at 600MHz though), 512MB DDR2 RAM(1 slot, 2GB Max), a 4GB SSD HDD, Intel GMA900 Integrated Graphics, a Wireless G WLAN Card, 3 USB ports, VGA output and a 7" LCD TFT Screen, 1x SDHC card slot (32GB max capacity). Be aware there is NO CD drive.
--The system boots very fast, even with XP and is pretty snappy. I was a little surprised that it was this fast.
Heat-wise, the laptop stays reasonable cool. The top feels warm under general use, and a little warmer under load. This is only to be assumed as the size of the laptop means that the heat must go somewhere even with a ULV processor!

Portability
Without a doubt this is about as portable as you can get! The laptop weighs under 2lbs and honestly you could carry it on a marathon and not even know it was there. Although I have not tested out the battery life yet, I understand it plays ~3hrs 20mins watching a DVD medium backlight, or close to ~4hours with backlight on low and typing an essay. The laptop is totally silent and I have not heard the fans kick in at all yet.
You won't find anything much more portable than this that offers this kind of performance.

Windows XP Installation
This was a little tricky, but I got it in the end. Firstly you will need to use nLite to create a windows that is more streamlined. After alot of tweaking prior to getting my Eee using VMWare Server (its free and very easy to use!) I managed to create a Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates and functionality down to 612MB uncompressed! Next was the installation...
--Put simply, I had to create a DOS boot disk and remove all partitions from one USB drive, then once rebooting back into the DOS prompt(which the drive installed now on the fresh OS) I would run winnt.exe from my windows XP disk to start the installation. From there it was easy.
Once installed, I just popped the provided Asus driver CD in and installed all the windows drivers they supply.
The follow times are based on 3.5GB/3.7GB of the HDD used and the stock 512MB RAM:
Boot up Time: 50 seconds
Shutdown Time: 21 seconds
EDIT 03/11/08: Just wanted to state that with my improved nLite XP install the new times are:
Boot Up Time: 24 seconds
Shutdown Time: 12 seconds

Gaming
Sometimes we do things not because we should, but because we can. Of course I just had to install Warcraft III and see how it runs DotA. I simply ran a custom single player game with 5 bots and recorded the fps. Be aware this is with the stock supplied intel GMA drivers, I have heard the newer ones are much better, so I will update with the differences later.
--First to get Warcraft III to run at the correct 800x480 resolution, I had to run regedit and edit the height and width registry keys to make it 800x480.
All settings were on low, shadows and occlusion on.
As you can see below, I get between 20-25fps alone and 7-12fps in fights.
dota_2.jpg

dota_1.jpg

Conclusion: Playable, but the screen is pretty small and the fps is rather low in fights.
I will test out Counter-Strike 1.6 when I can install it onto an external hard drive.

The negatives of course...
No point reviewing something without also addressing its flaws.
1)The resolution has to be adjusted from 800x480 to 800x600 (its got an easy program to switch resolutions) to see some programs. You can see in some of the pictures at the top that the windows...windows do not fit entirely on the native resolution. Not a "huge" deal....but what do you expect from a 7" screen?
2) I had a funky problem that when my external CD drive was plugged in, the touchpad went all wild and shot all over the pad at the slightest touch in random directions. Once the USB was removed, it went away. Not sure if this is my USB CD drive doing this, or a general problem, but thought I'd mention it.
3) With the 4GB SSD, if you are planning on putting any music or office programs, you almost certainly will want to buy at least a 2GB SDHC card for storage, or an external HDD if you require bigger. I am going to get an 8GB SDHC card. With my XP, openoffice, firefox, paint.net, AVG, spybot, ccleaner and a few other programs, I had 2.1GB left (with pagefile turned down off). So with my very small XP install, I only have 2GB left and after installing Warcraft III, 600MB Left. As you can see, no full blown XP install will fit nicely. nLite is a must.
4) Installing XP will be complicated and frustrating for anybody who has no clue about DOS boot disks or basic DOS command's such as COPY, CD, etc...The lack of a CD drive obviously is the cause, but a USB one can make life easy and you don't have to worry about any of it.

Summary and Closing Thoughts
I am very impressed by this laptop. It is very light, feels tough and best of all, costs $400 for the 4GB version. If you intend to use this as a bigger laptop replacement, or a desktop replacement, you may want to reconsider as the keyboard is pretty small and you won't be finding yourself typing as fast as you would on a full size 14"+ size laptop or regular size desktop keyboard. This is perfect for college students who need something portable to take notes with or browse the web in between classes.

I would give this laptop 8.8/10 and a ps2cho's recommended!

Hope you enjoyed this and I also hope it can help make some people's last minute decisions as to whether it will be right for you.

I will be very willing to do anything you wish to see with the laptop if you require any more information (par smashing the thing, or its warranty :))

EDIT:

Overclocking
The processor comes underclocked at 603MHz by stock (70x9) but the Processor is rated for 900MHz. With the processor overclocked by 200MHz now yielding 800MHz, I saw a significant increase in FPS!

For Warcraft III, I moved to the same spots as the first screenshots and I was now getting 29.6 FPS Starting -- 14 FPS in the Battle <--- That's a big increase! It's move from playable, to totally playable now!

For Counter-Strike 1.6, running stock settings didn't make the game playable as when you shot the gun, it would stutter and lagg, and when playing online it would go down to a slideshow in gun fights with more than 3 people. The average was 8-15fps
With it overclocked now, it runs very smoothly and I get a solid 20-30fps!! Excellent!

Bear in mind too, this isn't at 900MHz, which is the stock frequency yet so there is still performance to be gained. Also when I put 1GB of RAM in too, it should speed things up.

Last edited:
IIRC its not a 4GB SSD per se, its just 4 1GB memory chips solder on the motherboard. I guess you can call it a SSD, but technically its not

IIRC its not a 4GB SSD per se, its just 4 1GB memory chips solder on the motherboard. I guess you can call it a SSD, but technically its not
so then it would be a ram drive... so if you had the battery die you would lose you info... that doesnt sound right... unless its a SSD integrated onto the motherboard, wouldnt be that hard for them to do.

@ps2cho
have you oced it yet? so its a underclocked ULV cpu, interesting...

That is for the Surf models (2G Surf, 4G Surf). The 4G and 8G Models have the SSD on a mini pci-e connector.

But yes you are right they are just soldered RAM sticks in reality for the Surf models.

Got today off work too :) Going to see what this baby can do today. Will first get 3dmark2001 and then try updating the drivers to see how much of a difference they make.
Any games you guys want to see it playing? :D

so then it would be a ram drive... so if you had the battery die you would lose you info... that doesnt sound right... unless its a SSD integrated onto the motherboard, wouldnt be that hard for them to do.

@ps2cho
have you oced it yet? so its a underclocked ULV cpu, interesting...

No not yet. It can be overclocked and a custom BIOS update can make it run at 900MHz, but for right now I'm going to leave it stock and benchmark as I would. Then I'll overclock to see if its worth running it at 900MHz. I might also pop out one of my 1GB RAM sticks from my Inspiron and see if the RAM is holding the system back at all.

Nice review, I just got mine about an hour ago and this little thing is awesome hehe. It will definitley find use in class and on road trips.

I'm in love with mine!

I've been doing some reading and its stock 3dmark2001 is about 1850, but if you update the graphics card drivers to the January 2007 ones from support.intel.com it boosts the score to ~3000. I am updating mine right now. Maybe it will make all my games run better. (This is if you want to put XP on it of course!)

If you want to put XP on it, feel free to post here and I'll help you install it if you run into any problems. A USB CD drive is the easiest way for sure.

I really need to get that 8GB SDHC card now...I wonder if anywhere local sells them for a reasonable price.

Yeah I don't think I'll be installing XP just yet, but did you use the guide in the book on how to put XP on it? I've been using the advanced mode of Xandros today and I like it but I think I'm going to install ubuntu on it tomorrow and hopefully it won't take up as much room as this OS does. As far as local retailers for SDHC cards I'm gonna check out Circuit City tomorrow and maybe Staples or Office Depot but Best Buy was super expensive. But more than likely you're gonna have to get it off of Newegg cause those havem pretty cheap.

Yeah I don't think I'll be installing XP just yet, but did you use the guide in the book on how to put XP on it? I've been using the advanced mode of Xandros today and I like it but I think I'm going to install ubuntu on it tomorrow and hopefully it won't take up as much room as this OS does. As far as local retailers for SDHC cards I'm gonna check out Circuit City tomorrow and maybe Staples or Office Depot but Best Buy was super expensive. But more than likely you're gonna have to get it off of Newegg cause those havem pretty cheap.

Ya thats what I was seeing online. Bestbuy had 8GB ones for $100+....Good idea about Circuit City and Staples....I'll probably go take a look today.

Yeah it looks like in the stores a 4GB is between $30-$40 and an 8GB is between $90-$115 but you can get a 8GB off of newegg for $39.98 AMIR. So it just depends on how impatient I am about it and if I order my dad a case for his computer today.

Edit: I just went ahead and bought an 8GB off of newegg hopefully it'll get here around Wednesday or Thursday.

Last edited:
Yeah it looks like in the stores a 4GB is between $30-$40 and an 8GB is between $90-$115 but you can get a 8GB off of newegg for $39.98 AMIR. So it just depends on how impatient I am about it and if I order my dad a case for his computer today.

Edit: I just went ahead and bought an 8GB off of newegg hopefully it'll get here around Wednesday or Thursday.

Yeh I checked Circuit city and they were $120 :eek:

I'll get one off newegg.

But hey man! If you are planning to watch DVD's at HD quality, you are going to need to run the laptop overclocked to at least 800MHz. I find it stutters at anything less than 800MHz. Its very easy to do. There is a 900MHz BIOS, but I'm afraid to do that right now.

im confused is the ram soldered on or is that the 4gb ssd. cause it says 2gb max, is that for every model? and is yours a 4g surf or regular 4gb?

The model ps2cho and I have is the 4G and the ram on it is not soldered on, the motherboard can only handle 2gb. And I don't think the 4gb ssd is soldered but I haven't seen it so I can't say for sure. And yes the 2gb ram limit is for every model.

But hey man! If you are planning to watch DVD's at HD quality, you are going to need to run the laptop overclocked to at least 800MHz. I find it stutters at anything less than 800MHz. Its very easy to do. There is a 900MHz BIOS, but I'm afraid to do that right now.

Yeah I haven't tried those bios yet and I haven't overclocked it yet either, but can you overclock through the bios or do you have to use software in windows xp? And I haven't tried any movies on it...just streaming music from my big computer, browsing the internet, and trying to get used to the keyboard but it's not that bad.

Im typing this on my 4G Galaxy that I got the wife for xmas. She loves it and it fits easily into her purse. Its nice as its better than my blackberry, but not as heavy as my Inspiron.

Gotta find a USB-CDROM or DVDROM drive for cheap somewhere incase she wants XP down the road.

Im typing this on my 4G Galaxy that I got the wife for xmas. She loves it and it fits easily into her purse. Its nice as its better than my blackberry, but not as heavy as my Inspiron.

Gotta find a USB-CDROM or DVDROM drive for cheap somewhere incase she wants XP down the road.

If you want a quick alternative, get an IDE -> USB converter and use an old CD drive lying around. (you can get them off ebay for ~$5)

That's what I did to get my xp up and running as I don't own a USB CD drive.

I just put XP on mine yesterday and I must say I'm impressed with how it handled everything and I used nlite to get the install down but after installing office and a few other needed apps I only have about 500mb left on the drive. But my 8gb SDHC card comes in today so hopefully I won't run into any problems with that and then it'll finally be all setup. But it runs XP wonderfully but I have to wait til I get the card to run any games on it hehe.

Back