• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5b Del low vdimm boot problem: beep or no beep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trowakage

Hi:

I just got a P5B Deluxe second hand, and a set of SuperTalent DDR2-1000 rated at 2.2v with an e4300. I was a little dismayed when it didn't boot, but upon further reading realized that the default vdimm of 1.8v is probably too low and I need a cheap stick of 1.8v rated ddr2 to remedy the problem.

My question is, for those who have experienced this problem before, does the motherboard make any beeps if you have high voltage ram that doesn't boot? Because mine doesn't make any sounds at all right now, black screen, nothing (fans spin, drives open and close, the PSU is known working).

OK, so I'e tried a few things and got the thing to beep:

no vid card, no ram = long-short-short
vid card in (either slot), no ram = long-short-short
no vid card, ram in = no sound

is that right? Long-short-short is supposed to be video card failure, but I know my vid card is good (just pulled it) and even with no ram it's still long-short-short (ram failure is short-short-short for AMI Bios')

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. Might try my PCI Banshee just to see if that'll go, but otherwise I'd have to ebay myself a stick of cheap ram.

Pretty much all Nanya, Elpida and the like are 1.8v right?

Trowakage, I have the same problem as you do with high voltage sticks in my P5B. I have two OCZ Platinum 1 GB sticks (Revision 1) that I cannot use because of it.

I was in the same boat as you are in now when I first built my rig. Just go to a local Best Buy and grab the cheapest stick of DDR2 there (because it most likely will be 1.8v) then change the voltage settings in the bios.

Also, my board doesn't beep either when I put the high voltage sticks in; it does exactly what yours does.

Awesome, thanks for the info Ital, I have a stick of DDR2 coming from another member. At least now I know that that's the problem, not anything else.

Back