• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coax connection on z-5500 speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bageland2000

Hey everyone
I recently purchased set of Logitech z-5500 speaker (for $180 new, w00t!) and will be connecting them to my pc using the coaxial connection. I'm looking around for the cable and see a wide variety of prices and brands. As I am not very familiar (yet) with audio technology or hardware, I was wondering if someone could recommended a brand or price range I should be looking for. The cable need not be longer than a few feet. Also, I will be using these speakers for movie, music, and gaming if that matters. I'm guessing that the $50 that best buy wants for a 4' monster cable is way overpriced (like everything else they sell). Also, I did use one of the three cables that came on a component cable used to link my DVD player to my TV (the yellow, red and white ones). Is that the same cable? Thanks for the help...

Coaxial Cable is coaxial cable, does not matter what its made off. You will barely notice any difference between a $1,000 coaxial cable (not sure if this exist) and a $10.00 coaxial cable.

Using those speakers with onboard sound is a crime sir.

I HIGHLY suggest investing in a x-fi sound card (60-70$). You will notice a rediculous increase in sound performance.

Using those speakers with onboard sound is a crime sir.

I HIGHLY suggest investing in a x-fi sound card (60-70$). You will notice a rediculous increase in sound performance.

rub it in why don't you:), I would be ALL OVER that deal at frys for the $70 xtreme music card if i had the money, gotta wait until next pay check though.:mad: thanks for the replies though.

ok i found a high quality L/R audio +S video and the three cables peeled apart from each other leaving me with a single cord (Im using the white one) I'm guessing based on what you guys said that this cord will be the same as any coaxial cord that I buy.

Coaxial Cable is coaxial cable, does not matter what its made off. You will barely notice any difference between a $1,000 coaxial cable (not sure if this exist) and a $10.00 coaxial cable.

NO cable is cable is cable is cable unless you're dealing with a purely digital signal in which case you can get away with a higher level of cheapness but will still suffer.

In the case of analogue cabling, the difference is disgusting and massive.

I thought you were supposed to use the Yellow "video" wire for running digital audio because it carries at 75 somethings.

If the audio cable works then I guess you have your answer :)

BTW... composite is the Red white yellow not component. (Component is the cable that is 3 wires but only carries video RGB, the 3 primary components of computer color :) )

Yeah, the most ideal cable is a 75ohm coaxial. Beyond that its all left to shielding, and quality of build (doesn't mean monster).

Honestly, I would pay tops for a coax for the z-5500's around 20 bucks for the cable so I can get a 12' shielded.

thanks omancer, right now I'm now using the analogue cable that came with the speakers moslty. ill probably end up buying a cable from monoprice when I buy my soundcard

Oh yah the first review I read about digital output on a soundcard made a joke about using the 75ohm cable.

"Finally all those video cables that you have been getting from ATI over the years have a purpose!" lol

Back